Why Every College Freshman Should Be Single
relationships

All my single ladies, put your hands up!

607

Coming into college we think that life will be the same as high school, but it is radically different. We think life will be just as easy as living with mom and dad when it is so far from it. You may have had a boyfriend or girlfriend senior year of high school that you just can't let go. However, if both of you go to different schools, I'm sorry to say it will be over.

Being single as a freshman in college is one of the best decisions I've made. Let me tell you why.

The first semester of college is strictly an adjustment period. You're basically navigating a schedule when to eat your meals, how to get involved in at least one activity and get to know people on your hall. There are simply too many new things and exploring to settle on anything. Even though you will feel like your whole world has been turned upside down, the second semester slowly gets better. If you didn't feel like you got as much accomplished as you did the first semester, the second semester is the time to incorporate these habits.

Constant exploration and a change in lifestyle can teach you more about yourself than conforming to a boyfriend and tying you down.

College has a very different lifestyle. Meaning, you're up later than an average working adult and constantly rushing around campus to get stuff done. I often wake up early, get studying done before and between classes, have an extracurricular to go to, am writing, or reading a book(sometimes I occasionally go to the gym). I'm doing things I didn't know were possible and am learning material I didn't know existed. Before college, I would never open a non-academic book, listen to podcasts, or write every week. My point is my whole life has changed for the better within six months. I've probably wouldn't have been doing all of these things if I had a boyfriend(more added time away from the things I love).

With constant exploration and a change in lifestyle can teach you more about yourself than conforming to a boyfriend and tying you down.

I feel learning about myself my first year away from home without a boyfriend was the most important to my well being. There are times that I think what my life would be like and how it would be different with a "partner in crime." However, only when I'm bored do these thoughts enter my head, but then do something else and realize for the moment I wouldn't have my life any other way.

In the past, I've confided in a guy out of weakness and lack of confidence. This time I'm doing things differently and realize I don't need a guy to tell me how to do life. Instead, I'm better off figuring life out by myself and what I want to make of it.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have a college boyfriend or that it should totally be off limits. It's perfectly OK if having a college boyfriend just isn't for you. However, one thing guys and girls can both do is go on dates, find your type and not make any commitments(I know this sounds weird). Understanding college as a confusing time and as kids(that are technically adults) just trying to grow up is helpful. You have the rest of your life to date, have a boyfriend, and marry the man of your dreams. Ladies, promise yourself that you won't stress about having a boyfriend. We don't always have to listen to what society tells us. Do what's best for you.