Thank You Freshman Year

Thank You Freshman Year

One year done, three to go. Heres to a year I will never forget.

118
Thank You Freshman Year
Expedia

As freshman year is coming to a close, I can easily say this year has been an unforgettable adventure. Honestly speaking, this year has for sure had it’s share of hardships, mistakes, lessons, and craziness; but most importantly, this year has been one of the most enjoyable, amazing, and beneficial experiences of my life, and despite the tough times, one of the greatest times of my life that I will remember forever. Knowing I get to live this life for another three years not only has me super excited, but also super thankful. Thank you freshman year.

Starting off as a freshman, I really didn’t know what to expect. I knew I would “meet some of my best friends” and “have the time of my life”, but wasn’t exactly sure what that meant. How could I possibly do all that going to some place I’ve never lived before with thousands of people I’ve never met? Despite all of the questioning going on in my head, I went into college with a positive, open mind, and man, am I glad I did. It opened me up to meeting so many different types of people and made me learn so much, as well as open me up so many opportunities and have the time of my life. Thank you freshman year for giving me an open mind.

Throughout this year, I was introduced to so many things and experienced a lot of “firsts”. Whether it was big as living on my own for the first time, or as silly as buying my first drink at a bar..don’t worry Dad, it was just water ;)..the most important thing I was introduced to this year was the freedom to make all of my own decisions. While the thought of getting to make all your own decisions sounds awesome at first, it is a lot scarier than it sounds. Throughout the year you get so many opportunities thrown at you, and although at first getting involved in things you aren’t familiar with can be scary, it is how you make the best memories and meet the best people. I can also say I have learned that it is okay to say no to opportunities given to you and that you have to prioritize what is most important to you. On the contrary, I also learned to never miss out on a chance you are given, as you may not get the opportunity again. Thank you freshman year for pushing me out of my comfort zone.

Personally, my freshman year wasn’t all rainbows and butterflies. A little over a month into school, I got news that my mom had passed away. She had been battling cancer for almost 4 years prior, and when I left for school she wasn’t doing well. It really hit me hard. Knowing my mom would have wanted me to go back to school, as quickly as I could I went back to school and came back to nothing but love. Right then and there is when I knew I had picked the right school. Everyone has a moment when they just know they picked the right school. Whether it’s at orientation, the day they walk on campus, or throughout the year everyone has a time they know their school is the place for them. Although it was by far the toughest time of my life, all my new college friends and sorority sisters assured me that everything would be okay, and I knew I could get through anything. Thank you, freshman year for showing me that I can get through hard times.

Speaking of sorority sisters, joining greek life truly has changed my life in such a positive way. For any incoming freshmen out there reading this, if I could give you one piece of advice, it is to go through recruitment! Whether you think “greek life is for you” or not, I promise you if you decide to do it, you will be so glad you did. Not only did greek life teach me responsibility, give me life-long friends, and push me out of my comfort zone, most of all, greek life showed me the importance of being there for others. With around 150 other sisters in my sorority and over 50 chapters on my campus, I learned that it is so important to always be there for my sisters, just like they were there for me when I struggled with my mom’s death at the beginning of the year. I have learned so much helping out others and learning about others lives, and I wouldn’t change that for the world. Thank you freshman year for bringing me to the best sisterhood on earth.

When I first joined my sorority I knew I was super similar to all my new sisters, but never knew just how good of friends I would become with not only all the girls in my chapter but with people in all the chapters on campus. Everyone I have met through Greek life socials, sisterhoods, philanthropies, and even just around campus have all influenced me to become the person I am today and am so thankful for that. Whether it is goofing off at the library till 3 a.m., going downtown and being our crazy selves, or (the usual) grabbing FroYo for the 3rd time of the week, I know my friends will always be by my side no matter what. Throughout the year I have made some of the best friendships that I know they will last a lifetime. Thank you freshman year for introducing me to lifelong friends.

While I have made so many outstanding friends throughout this year, I have also met some people who were, to say the least, not the nicest. Coming across mean, negative people (especially in college) is inevitable, but for too long I would let mean, negative people make me feel sad and make me feel bad about myself. I am so thankful that throughout the year I have learned to block out the negativity and judgement, and only focus on the positive and always surround myself with people who make me happy. Being happy with who you are is so important and I am so glad college has taught me to block out negative comments and only focus on the good. Thinking of life this way and being around those who love you has changed my life and outlook on life so much for the better. Thank you freshman year for showing me how to block out negativity and be confident in myself.

Last, but for sure not least, one of the things I am most thankful for is freshman year for helping me find the best version of myself. Throughout high school I was still the happy and positive person I am today, but coming to college has made me strive to be even better person and always put forth my best self, and I can confidently say that it has changed me for the better. Not only has this year made me be a better version of myself, but also has shown me that I always should be there for others and make their day better even if it is just with a simple conversation or a smile. Can’t wait to see what is in store for me in the years to come. Thank you freshman year for pushing me to be my best self.

Overall this year was a wild, crazy ride- but am so thankful for everything I gained from it. I thank God, my friends, my family, and my amazing school for all the lasting memories I created, and can’t wait for what’s to come. So, here I say it again...thank you freshman year.