Ditch The Saying "Like A Girl"

Ditch The Saying "Like A Girl"

It's not an insult to be a girl.

43
Ditch The Saying "Like A Girl"
Bandt

You throw like a girl. As a kid, the saying "like a girl" was commonly used as an insult. It changed the way that girls thought of themselves. Why did doing things like a girl become an insult? What does it really mean? Honestly, doing things like a girl should be a compliment. "Always" did a study and asked teenage girls, boys, and young girls to do various tasks like a girl. This video is where I got the inspiration to write this article.

Here are five reasons to ditch the saying like a girl:

1. Girls are strong

Girls have gone through hell and high water just to be in the position that we are in today, which still is not a very good one. Girls have to deal with crazy double standards such as slut shaming. When did it become okay to bash on girls for having sex but praise the guy? If a girl can go through the bullying and double standards then that shows how much strength women have. If someone ever told me that I have handle things like a girl I would tell that person thank you because that is one of the best compliments I could ever get.

2. It is NOT an insult

Being a girl is NOT an insult. I am not insulted by being a girl. You cannot use my gender as an insult. Being a girl is one of the coolest things in the world. I will never take being a girl for granted and every girl should wear it loud and wear it proud no matter how you choose to do it. People like Ronda Rousey, Gabby Douglas, and Michelle Obama are all examples of women who are strong and powerful in their own ways.

3. We fight for everything

Since the beginning of time women have been fighting to have the same rights as men. But guess what, we're still fighting! We fought for the right to vote, the ability to enter the work force, and we are still fighting for the respect we deserve. In the corporate world women are still fighting to penetrate the glass ceiling. If I was told I fight like a girl I would say thank you because girl fought like hell to get where we are today and we are still fighting to break every stigma around.

4. Lowers self esteem

The term like a girl can lower the self esteem of young girls more than you could ever imagine. Like a girl is seen as a derogatory saying when it comes to what society says it means. When girls are told they do something like a girl it belittles them and makes them feel weak or unable. Nobody ever wants to feel that way.

5. Would you want your daughter/sister feeling that way?

Have you ever been told you did something like a girl as an insult? How did that make you feel? Whether you are a guy or a girl that probably did not feel very great, correct? Nobody likes to feel insulted. Would you want your daughter or your sister to feel that way? Would you want your sister to feel like she wasn't good enough?