Mizzou's Dorms Ranked From Best to Worst

The ins and outs, the good and bad, of Mizzou dorm life

11599

1. Lathrop/ Laws

I may be a little biased because Lathrop was my former humble abode and Laws is pretty much just Lathrop with a few more floors of boys. But Lathrop and Laws are really the best places to live freshman year. They are by far the most social dorms. They have a great location being right in the middle of Greek Town and come with the character of any other dorm. They may be the oldest and must disgusting but that makes them all the more fun. You will truly bond with your floor mates when you get stuck in the elevator for thirty minutes. The two dorms are only approximately 15 steps from Dobbs which is a huge plus for the Sunday morning brunch line, Wok Wednesdays, and notorious T-ravs. Everyone who chooses to live in Laws or Lathrop is looking to make friends, so no one judges you for walking around with no pants and dancing through the hallways at 1 a.m.

2. North/South/Center

These three dorms are right next to Lathrop and Laws so you still get a great location for Greek Town and not a bad walk to class. But North, South, and Center are much nicer, they are some of the best in my opinion, all three have been renovated. All the rooms are suite style, so you could only share a bathroom with four people rather than forty. These dorms are also super close to Dobbs and have a Mizzou Market right inside Center, that means late night eats every night. North, South, and Center are also home to most of the athletes so ladies this is the spot to be, better learn to talk football.

3. Johnston

Johnston is also in a prime location being pretty much right across the street from the student center. Any walk to class is super easy and quick. Johnston is pretty social but is ten times nicer than Laws and Lathrop. The dining hall Sabai is right inside of Johnston. Sabai has decently good Chinese food, a nice break from burgers and the salad bar at most dining halls. Nice big rooms and great location for class makes Johnston one of the best places to live freshman year. Johnston is all girls which can be so much fun because who wants to live with boys.

4. Dogwood/Hawthorn/Galena/ Defoe-Graham

These four dorms are also in a prime location. They are pretty much right in the middle of campus so any walk to class is maybe ten minutes max. Plus amazing dining hall, Plaza, is super close and Baja is just across the bridge, quick access to two of the best dining halls on campus is a huge selling point for these dorms. Also if you are a nursing or pre-med major you are literally two seconds away from the hospital and medical library. And for you fit people, the rec center is also conveniently located right next to these dorms so you get an advantage avoiding the freshman fifteen.

5. Jones... may it rest in peace

Jones is another great dorm for greek life and making friends but unfortunately it is no longer with us. It was just like Laws and Lathrop, super fun right by the frats, but having to move out at semester knocked it down a few levels, no pun intended. At its peak, Jones was probably the best dorm of them all. So sad to see one of the greats go. You are missed Jones may you rest easy.

6. Hudson/Gillett

Hudson and Gillett's main appeal is that Rollins is right inside so you don't even need to get out of your pjs for food and late night pizza. Like the past dorms mentioned, they have a great location for class. Everything is about five to ten minutes away, so you can for sure get those extra three minutes of sleep. However, you will have a much longer walk to downtown and Greek Town than most dorms but that easy access to Rollins pizza bumps these spots up a few places

7. Respect/ Discovery/Responsibility/Excellence

R.E.S.P.E.C.T find out what it means to me, right? These four dorms have great food options. Literally two steps away from Plaza, a short walk away from Baja and down the street from Rollins, holler at that late night eatery. All four dorms are pretty new and have some of the biggest rooms. They are far from Greek Town which some people may not like, plus they are not as social as some of the other dorms. But one huge bonus is how close these dorms are located to Frat Row, ladies that means Sig Chi and Beta are only a bridge away, that makes your walk home way shorter.

8. Mark Twain

Mark Twain is low on this list purely because its location and unsocial reputation. It is not that close to campus, Greek Town, or Frat Row. However it is near downtown. Mark Twain is not too social and remains pretty calm and quiet. If that is what you are looking for Mark Twain is for you. It is one of the nicest of them all and surprise! also has a dining hall right inside. I even heard you can take your food to your room, that would definitely be a plus for anyone who is antisocial and likes to eat in peace.

9. McDavid

If you like living on the very very very edge of the earth this is the dorm for you. McDavid is pretty much downtown, walking anywhere is a hike. The location is defiantly a huge down side to McDavid but other than that I haven't really heard anything bad about the dorm. Be sure to check out your neighbors Bengals Bar and Grill, for the food of course!

10. College Avenue/ Hatch/ Schurz

"Hatch is by far the best dorm with the best location" said no one ever. These three dorms are super far from humanity. Long walks to class, down town, and Greek Town for everyone who resides there. It has also been said that these dorms are very quiet- not many people are looking to make friends. But in their defense, Baja is inside so they are defiantly winning in that aspect (hello queso). So if you choose to live in them, or are least on the sign up list and forced to, say goodbye to the human race because you are moving to the middle of no where.

Take The Odyssey reader survey for a chance to win one of many cash prizes!