April is the unofficial start to festival season. Coachella, Stage Coach, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza and more happen every year when the weather is warm and the party doesn't stop. One of everyone's favorite parts is the boho, chic fashion-forward outfits. Bodysuits and body glitter are all the rave, yet people love to go to their local costume store and buy something representative of someone else's culture.
If you are unaware of what cultural appropriation is, it is the adoption of an underrepresented group's customs or ideas usually by a more dominant group. For example, a headdress, that has serious meaning to certain Native American tribes, is worn by white festival goers because it looks good to them. Or a white person installing dreadlocks, a protective style for black people, for a festival when black people lose their jobs over their "unprofessional" or "ghetto" hairdos.
Festival season is not the time for cultural appropriation — it's never that time.
Don't be that person with the headdress or the bindi or the sombrero or the dreadlocks. If it isn't a part of your culture, don't think about doing it, wearing it, or even buying it. It's not going to ruin your Instagram pictures if you aren't appropriating a culture, but it can ruin an important message a group is trying to let be heard.
Here are some of the top four look books on YouTube that you should watch for stylish outfit ideas.
1. Festival Looks by Nayomi Boyer.
Nayomi's looks are a mix between boho and boujee, if that's what you're going for give it a view!
2. Ethan and Grayson Dolan Coachella Outfits.
The Dolan twins shopped for each other at some high-end places but you could definitely take some inspo from their video.
3. Buzzfeed's sister channel As/Is Outfits.
Two women go thrift shopping to find affordable looks that you can definitely put together for Coachella.
4. OneDapperStreet looks.
OneDapperStreet puts together 3-6 looks for festivals, give it a view if you're want some ideas.
- Nicki Minaj, 'Chun-Li' WAS Cultural Appropriation, And You Need To ... ›
- Is It Possible To Appreciate Culture Without Appropriating It? ›
- Cultural Appropriation ›
- Wearing A Traditional Chinese Dress To Prom Is NOT Cultural ... ›
- 5 Times Kylie Jenner Was Called Out For Cultural Appropriation ›
- Make A Statement At Coachella 2018 ›
- 18 Summer Fashion Trends For Summer '18 ›
- 11 Undeniable Signs You Are Addicted To Planning And Fully ... ›
- 5 Trends That Rocked Coachella This Year And How To Add Them ... ›
- 8 Coachella Trends That Will Make You Excited For Summer Music ... ›
- Top 6 Coachella 2017 Outfits ›
- Coachella's Fashion Ruins The Name Of Music Festivals ›
- Coachella: A Music Festival Or Fashion Show? ›
- The Best And The Worst Of Coachella 2018 Celebrity Festie Outfits ›
- How wearing a headdress to Coachella ignited a debate about the ... ›
- How to Avoid Cultural Appropriation at Coachella ›
- How to Avoid Cultural Appropriation at Coachella | Pop Feminist ... ›
- Coachella, It is Time We Have a Talk About Cultural Appropriation ... ›
- Why Coachella sucks! (hint: Cultural Appropriation) - YouTube ›
- Cultural Appropriation at Coachella 2018 No Longer Phases Me As ... ›
- This year, don't wear these 5 problematic things at Coachella ... ›
- We Interviewed 5 Cultural Appropriators at Coachella 2018 - Teen ... ›
- We Spoke to People with Culturally Offensive Outfits at Coachella ... ›
- How to Avoid Cultural Appropriation at Coachella - Teen Vogue ›
- Coachella outfits and fashion | CN Traveller ›
- Coachella's Most Iconic Celebrity Outfits From Rihanna to Kendall ... ›
- 61 Best Coachella Style Inspiration images | Coachella style ... ›
- 59 Best Celebrity Outfits at Coachella 2018 - Hottest Coachella ... ›
- 236 Best Coachella Outfit Ideas 2018 images in 2019 | Coachella ... ›
- Coachella 2018: Best Celebrity Outfits and Fashion - Photos - Glamour ›
- Coachella Outfits 2019 BoHo To Glam Style Inspiration ›
- The Best Street Style From Coachella 2018 - Coachella Street Style ›
- Coachella Style Outfit Ideas 2019 - What To Wear To Coachella ›
- Coachella 2019 Outfit Ideas for Women - What to Wear to Coachella ›