Coachella Outfit Ideas That Don't Commit Cultural Appropriation
Concerts Festivals

4 Coachella Look Books That Manage To NOT Appropriate Cultures

If you're going to Coachella leave your faux headdress in the trash.

109
Costume

April is the unofficial start to festival season. Coachella, Stage Coach, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza and more happen every year when the weather is warm and the party doesn't stop. One of everyone's favorite parts is the boho, chic fashion-forward outfits. Bodysuits and body glitter are all the rave, yet people love to go to their local costume store and buy something representative of someone else's culture.

If you are unaware of what cultural appropriation is, it is the adoption of an underrepresented group's customs or ideas usually by a more dominant group. For example, a headdress, that has serious meaning to certain Native American tribes, is worn by white festival goers because it looks good to them. Or a white person installing dreadlocks, a protective style for black people, for a festival when black people lose their jobs over their "unprofessional" or "ghetto" hairdos.

Festival season is not the time for cultural appropriation — it's never that time.

Don't be that person with the headdress or the bindi or the sombrero or the dreadlocks. If it isn't a part of your culture, don't think about doing it, wearing it, or even buying it. It's not going to ruin your Instagram pictures if you aren't appropriating a culture, but it can ruin an important message a group is trying to let be heard.

Here are some of the top four look books on YouTube that you should watch for stylish outfit ideas.

1. Festival Looks by Nayomi Boyer.

Nayomi's looks are a mix between boho and boujee, if that's what you're going for give it a view!

2. Ethan and Grayson Dolan Coachella Outfits.

The Dolan twins shopped for each other at some high-end places but you could definitely take some inspo from their video.

3. Buzzfeed's sister channel As/Is Outfits.

Two women go thrift shopping to find affordable looks that you can definitely put together for Coachella.

4. OneDapperStreet looks.

OneDapperStreet puts together 3-6 looks for festivals, give it a view if you're want some ideas.

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web