5 Reasons Everyone Should Visit Charleston, SC
Travel

Great food, beaches, and culture make this a worthwhile visit.

45

There are many places we like to vacation to. In South Carolina, people often will go to Myrtle Beach. What if I told you there was a phenomenal city, with beautiful beaches, great food, and lots of history just a couple of hours south? Charleston is worth a visit.

Visit the many beaches!

Let me tell you something: if you're looking for phenomenal beaches in the Charleston area, you've got them. In particular, the Isle of Palms beach is an utterly breathtaking beach: the views you can receive in the early morning as the sun rises are worth getting up early. Folly Beach is another prominent beach, which offers great views of the entire area.

SO Much Food to Partake of.

Personal Photo

Goodness, where to start. You have some delectable pubs: The Griffon serves the best fish n' chips in the city by a mile. You could also go to Callie's Hot Little Biscuit, which produces some of the finest southern biscuits around (they even have variants like cinnamon!). If neither of those suit your fancy, there is great seafood just about anywhere in the city. If you want to get a burger, make your way to Sullivan's Island, where you can feast at Poe's Tavern, which has one of the coolest, yet creepiest, aesthetics around. Come with an empty stomach.

The City's Age and Location Offers Us Some Great Historical Sites.

Charleston's age and strategic location offers up some particularly interesting historical sites, including Fort Moultrie, which had been utilized through multiple wars. Fort Sumter is infamous for being the key boiling point that sparked the Civil War, and traveling to it via ferry is interesting and illuminating. There are also three U.S. Navy ships stationed in the area, one of which is an aircraft carrier! If you like cemeteries, make your way to St. Phillip's or the Circle Church. The Circle Church has gravestones dating back to the 1600s! There's so much to talk about with historical sites: the Charleston Market, the old churches, etcetera. If you enjoy history, Charleston is worthwhile.

You Can Easily Access Nature.

As I previously mentioned, the beaches in the region are all of impeccable quality. However, there is so much more to explore nature wise. If you want to kayak or paddleboard, Shem Creek is easily reached and offers you the opportunity to travel down various creeks and into Charleston Harbor. There are also many islands in the vicinity of the city, including Bulls Island, which is near the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge, that are worth exploring to become in tune with your tendencies to immerse yourself in nature. You can even simply watch high tide come in from the roads around.

Charleston's Unique Culture and Cityscape Cannot be Matched.

Flickr Creative Commons

Charleston is a city that is part of a geographically distinct region called the Lowcountry. This region was once known for its' abundant rice plantations, from which the distinct Gullah culture was born. This includes their language, a creole, attire, and the sweetgrass weaving that is prevalent throughout the city. The geography of the region means you probably won't see an Empire State Building in the area: what you will see is the spires of the churches, the buildings that define the Charleston skyline, especially St. Matthew's, the tallest building in the city. However, the cityscape also contains some of the most beautiful houses, many of which will make you feel as if you've entered another time period entirely. Just walking the city allows you to immerse yourself in that culture and history.

Charleston is a city with many phenomenal attractions. It is nowhere near as large as, say, Atlanta, Miami, or Orlando. However, what it may lack in size it makes up for in distinct culture, foodstuff, and history. A city certainly worth visiting.