What It's Really Like Living In Sandusky, OH
Travel

12 Things You Know Too Well If You're From Sandusky, Or 'Cedar Point,' OH

"Do you go to Cedar Point often?"

348
Ashley Sizemore

I lived in Sandusky for a large majority of my life before coming to college. Being from a tourist town, I'm a bit too familiar with some aspects of the location.

1. Cedar Point Beach

Ah, the "place to be" on an afternoon in the middle of July. That is, if you can find a place to be on the beach. Most days, you can hardly even see the sand.

2. Sketchy Ohio weather

Also known as another barrier that will ruin a day at the Cedar Point Beach (see above). Ohio weather will go from raining and cold to sunny and blisteringly hot to thunder storming within an hour. Have fun making outdoor plans!

3. Lake Erie, or ~Eerie~

I will never understand how people can just trust going in this body of water. You can't see one inch deep, it drops off wherever it desires, and it smells. Bad.

4. Getting bored at Cedar Point

Going to Cedar Point really is one of the only things people do for fun that live here. It gets old. I now refuse to wait over 10 minutes for a ride because I've been on each one about 200 times.

5. Nighttime drives

Also known as the other thing people do for fun in town. Nighttime drives to get Taco Bell while bumping the latest pop hits on 102.7 was a classic.

6. Chet & Matt's King Kong Pizza

YouTube

Almost every birthday party, baby shower, graduation party, or whatever event you can think of had a King Kong Pizza. Or two. Or three. Maybe 10.

7. The dreadful Sandusky Mall

Let's be real, the only good part about the Sandusky Mall is that Target is in the same parking lot.

8. Having to drive 30+ minutes for a decent shopping experience

Catch me at Crocker Park or the Southpark Mall every other weekend this summer.

9. Weekend trips to Put-in-Bay and Kelley's Island

The Butterfly House has my heart to this day. I'll never forget the thrill of hopping on the Ferry on a Saturday morning to head to one of the islands for a few hours.

10. Bike Week

Peace and quiet? Never heard of it during Bike Week. Ever had the desire to get a cheap sheet tattoo in a trailer? Here's the place.

11. Getting a room at Kalahari for the weekend

Getting the "local discount" email was the highlight of my pre-teen years.

12. Fourth of July fireworks at Cedar Point

My favorite part was having to schedule the four hours of the night it took to get out of the parking lot after the fireworks ended.

I could go on and on about some classic Sandusky memories, but you really just have to go there to experience it. Just don't type "Cedar Point, Ohio" into your GPS.