6 Reasons Traveling Can Open Your Eyes And Your Mind

Where will you go next?

9748

m from Indiana, but I spent four years living in Germany with my family. And it was an amazing experience that I would never give up. It took some time to adjust, but then it was just a magical adventure. Being so close to so many other countries meant that we got to travel all the time and visit places I didn't even know existed, and that changed my life. Here are six reasons why I love to travel.

1. Seeing and experiencing different culture

Whenever I visit a new country or even another region of a country I've already been in, I get to experience a whole new culture. Everywhere you go, things are new, different ways of greeting and saying goodbye, different ways to shop, and different ways of transportation. I've been to places where people took the public bus starting in kindergarten and I've seen people that bike everywhere they possibly can even in less than comfortable weather.

Different countries have different brands so it's interesting to see how people dress and see some of the traditional outfits of the country mixed with some more modern clothing. Toys are very different too, it's fun to see all the differences in what children play with in other parts of the world. Then, there are small things that are different that you never would have thought of. For instance, in Germany, dogs are a part of everyday life. They are trained in a social environment and you see them in shops, malls, and restaurants and they are always well behaved. I've never seen that in Indiana.

2. Trying new foods

I've stuck my nose up at a lot of different types of food, but my mom always made me try new things. And I'm glad she did. I've found so many different foods I like in so many different cultures. France has the best tarts, pastries and baguettes ever and the beef bourguignon is simply delicious. In Germany, I love the bread and gelbwurst sausage, but my favorite was always schnitzel. Trying new foods at home is good, but nothing beats authentic cuisine.

3. Meeting new and interesting people

Another thing I love about traveling is meeting new people everywhere I go. From the baker to the waitress to the cashier at the mall everyone can be fun to talk to. Some of the best conversations I've had with people were when we could barely understand anything the other was saying, we would just pick up bits and pieces and collect the rest from body language and tone. Sometimes you get to hang out with people while you're visiting and they can become friends for life, if you connect well.

4. Being totally immersed in a different language

I love when I'm traveling and I can't understand anyone around me. At first, it can be a little scary because you feel like the anomaly. But when you start to listen, it's beautiful. The flow of all the words around you and once you are there long enough you might even start to pick up on some of the simple things said.

5. Seeing famous sites and buildings

I love the feeling of seeing something in person that I have seen pictures of and it's finally real and in front of me. The pictures usually can't even do it justice, it just feels amazing! The elegant beauty of the Eiffel Tower sparkling in the night, walking the immense gardens at Versailles, the overwhelming elegance of the palace in Vienna, nothing beats the feeling of standing in front of something so amazing, something with a history and seeing just how real it is. Castles are especially fun to visit, because I have to imagine that someone lived or still lives there. The castles are so big and magnificent it can be so hard to believe that anyone lived there as their personal home.

6. Getting Home With A New Outlook On Life

Whenever I go somewhere new and I get home, the experience stays with me. I notice how my own society works differently. How some things are done better in my own community and that we could make improvements just by observing and changing how we currently do things. I feel like I come back with a better understanding of people and how to help those who are new to an area or people who are just passing through. Plus, by talking with others you may inspire someone else to explore the world.