6 Known Reasons Owning A Cat Is Definitively Better Than Having A Boyfriend
Dating

As long as you don't mind cat hair being everywhere.

338

Every time I hear someone complain about how they are supposedly doomed to become a "crazy-cat lady," I cannot help but question why this term has a negative connotation. As someone who misses their cats back home every day, I truly long for the moment when they can be in my lap again, showering me with warm cuddles and the occasional love-bite. The scenario of growing old with my pets is honestly ideal, but for some reason, people seem to prefer a future with a significant other.

Now, I don't judge anyone for wanting a partner to confide in and eventually grow old with. That is the conventional societal desire: fall in love, get married, have kids, and maybe, if you mutually agree, you can get a cat or (if you really want to) a dog. I, on the other hand, have a different order for my personal aspirations: get a cat, get two more, and if I can find someone who loves them as much as I do, then maybe they can tag along for the journey too.

I listen time and time again to my peers raving over how nice it is to be in a relationship, how they want someone to hold their hand and go on cute dates with them. They are blatantly ignoring the numerous advantages of having a cat that makes it preferable to having a boyfriend.

1. They Won't Argue Over Dinner Options

Whenever I am invited to a dinner date, the conversation begins with a twenty-minute argument regarding what kind of cuisine to choose. Both people always claim that they have no preference, but you personally are craving Chinese food while your partner wants pasta. Somehow, everyone is always left at least a little bit unsatisfied. With your cat, they don't care what you eat if you just give them a crumb or two. As long as it's nothing toxic to their health, you can enjoy whatever you like.

2. Endless Cuddle Sessions

We all know that sometimes when you're in the mood to cuddle, your partner either isn't available or is preoccupied with another task. Cats are open to being your snuggle buddy at virtually any hour of the day, especially if you let them sleep on your lap after. If you happen to own a cat who isn't particularly friendly, most cats eventually relax and will submit to your demands once they're too tired to fight off your affection.

3. You Always Have a Napping Partner

Since most cats sleep at least sixteen hours a day, they'll never complain about settling down on the couch with you for a quick power nap. Unlike a boyfriend, they won't try to wake you up when they're bored or when they need a favor. Whether or not you're the type of person who can only sleep with the television on doesn't matter to them, because your cat is always more than willing to doze off next to you no matter the circumstance.

4. They Appreciate the Little Gestures

Being part of a couple often means paying for dinners, buying flowers for your significant other, or generally spending money on activities you two can enjoy together. Although this may be fun, it is often expensive and perhaps stressful, especially during different holidays like Valentine's Day or anniversaries that bring pressure to buy the perfect present. Your cat will surely be satisfied with something as simple as a new toy mouse or a fresh bag of catnip for their birthday.

5. No Pressure to Look Presentable

Especially during the beginning of a relationship, there's always an incentive to dress up nice and clean your house when your partner is coming over. You want them to feel comfortable in your room and not have to sit on top of that empty chip bag you've left on your couch cushion for the past two days. A cat, however, actually prefers to play with garbage that may be scattered around. They won't judge you for wearing the same pair of sweatpants for three days in a row, even if they have a sauce stain from last night's pasta dinner.

6. They Can't Break Up With You

We all know that human-to-human relationships are not always permanent. The situation can become complicated quickly: they're not happy, you're not happy, distance, issues beyond your own control. As long as you respect a cat's safety and boundaries, they will love you unconditionally. You may argue from time-to-time when they bring you a dead mouse as a "gift," but their irresistible purring will immediately mend the broken bond.

Both pursuing a human relationship and owning a cat are emotional investments: you have to care for one other, respond to each other's wishes, support them during difficult times. But, to me, I would rather put my time into a snuggly feline friend than a boyfriend. I can watch a television show without protest, hang out with them whenever I want, rant about my problems. As long as I give them my feet to curl around at night, they're happy. It's worth the hair balls.