7 Health And Life Benefits Of Owning An Animal With 9 Lives

Maybe I'm the crazy cat lady. Oh well.

111
Anna Berbary

If you're a cat parent, you know what it's like to look your feline in the face and be filled with immediate joy. My life has gotten significantly better since having my little babes, and that's because being a cat owner can improve your health and life.

Yes, cat are crazy and they eat my house plants and throw up a lot but, they really are just cuddly, loving little things. How can they affect someone's health and life?

1. If you're a single guy, adopt a cat.

This is scientifically proven. Like, there are multiple studies showing that once a single man adopts a cat, all of a sudden he's more attractive. I don't know the science behind it but... I mean why not try it? They're the ultimate wingmen.

2. They give you companionship.

I never feel lonely with my cats. Even when I'm alone for a significant time, I feel like I have my best buddies with me. I talk to them, play with them, snuggle with them. They're truly the best friends anyone could ever want.

Me with my kittens, Autumn and Winston

3. They release endorphins.

Cats do some weird shit. I'm constantly laughing at them for trying to fit in a box that is too small, or for licking each other and then kicking the crap out of each other. Winston tries to jump into the toilet when it flushes and Autumn tries to do parkour on the bookshelves. They make me smile and giggle and they don't even have to try, they're just living their lives.

4. They help you cope.

My kitties have helped me through a lot of hard times. Between they're snuggles and they're kisses, they always ease the pain. Cats know when their human is upset or sick, they're very aware. They'll do anything to make them feel better.

My little bebe autumn holding my hand.

5. They're good for your heart.

Cat's are literally good for your heart. They lower stress and anxiety levels. Studies have shown that people with cats as pets can live longer. Just a little snuggle can do enough to lighten the load on your heart and have you feeling stress and anxiety free. When I cuddle my Autumn, she snores and when I say that it could stop wars, I mean it. It's the cutest thing in the WORLD.

Autumn snuggles.

6. They help you sleep.

Studies have shown that some women sleep so good with their cats that they prefer to cuddle them at night than their partners! I don't know the exact science behind it, but i believe it is just a comfort thing. Although they often wake me up and are noisy at 3 am, I definitely sleep better with my kits snuggling up to me. When I'm away for a night or a weekend, I never feel rested because I don't have my kitties helping me sleep!

Winston snuggles.

7. You are literally a life saver.

After saving Winston from freezing temperatures in the winter as a stray, I felt like I had a little bit more of a purpose to my life. It's cheesy, but I knew this little guy needed me when he was sleeping in a box on my porch in -5 degree, snowy weather, covered in cuts and fleas, and sick as a dog. All it took was one look, and I knew he chose me. And now, he's my best pal. Adopting a cat from a shelter or taking in a stray may be hard work, but believe me, it is always worth it. We are all they have to keep them safe. If I hadn't taken in my buddy, I know for a fact he either would have froze to death, been hit by a car or his infections would have spread. And cats in shelters have similar fates if they are not adopted.

Winston Bishop, a year and a half after adopting me. Warm, healthy, and happy. :)