90s Shows You May Have Forgotten About

90s Shows You May Have Forgotten About

These shows are a comedic gold mine.

62
90s Shows You May Have Forgotten About
Slash Film

The 90s were arguably some of the best years for animated television. In the past decade, show quality has had a dramatic decrease in comedic quality (you all know I'm right about this). It's impossible to find animated Nickelodeon or Disney shows these days that are actually worth consistently keeping up with. Now, that doesn't mean they're all terrible or anything, it just isn't the same comedic, animated gold the 90s had to offer. Thankfully, every weeknight Nick has started playing re-runs of classic, animated episodes from your favorite shows that you may have forgotten about. Here's a list of classic 90s hits you might want to re-watch in the near future:

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters

This show premiered in 1994 and focused on the three main characters: Ickis, Oblina and Krumm. The show was about a school for monsters and ran for about three years. It was a little more dark than the average Nick comedy, but I think that it was primarily focused on gaining attention from older kids. I wasn't allowed to watch it when I was little but I still did anyway (sorry, mom).

The Angry Beavers

The show focuses on two brother beavers, Daggett and Norbert Beaver. They have just recently become old enough to move away from home, so the show is mainly about their time growing up and learning how to do things for themselves. The show launched in the U.S. in 1997 and is one of the many shows Nick has decided to play re-runs of every morning at about 4 AM (I love watching it while I get ready for work. It makes being up that early a little less miserable).

CatDog

ONE OF MY FAVORITES. The show focuses on a cat/dog sibling pair of siamese twins. They are total opposites in every way, so seeing how they try to get through life while being stuck together is great. It first aired in 1998 and ran until about May of 2001. Although they are total opposites, they are still brothers and best friends.

Franklin

Franklin ran from 1997-2013 in the U.S. The show revolves around the main character (also inspiration for the title of the show), Franklin the turtle. He lives in a small town with his parents and his animal friends, and the show depicts different adventures and experiences the characters have together.

Rugrats

The show premiered on August 11th, 1991 and is arguably one of the best shows to come out of the 90s. The show gives us an inside look into the world of babies. The main character, Tommy Pickles, is constantly getting into mischievous activities with his pals. His goofy parents are somehow unaware of almost all of his sneaky activities, which makes the show that much more interesting.

Doug

The series premiered in 1991 and is a lost hit. A lot of people forget about this show when they think of the 90s. The show focuses on the life of main character, Douglas "Doug" Funnie. He narrates each episode's story in his journal. The series addresses a lot of different topics which range from trying to fit in, to dealing with bullying, to dealing with romantic relationships. This show addresses a lot of real life issues, while also adding some comedic relief.

Rocko's Modern Life

Premiering in 1993,this show was definitely one of a kind. It can be described as: focusing on the surreal life of Australian-immigrant Rocko and his friends. It contained a lot of adult humor and was another show aimed at an older audience.

Rocket Power

This series was a little late to the game, premiering in 1999. The show revolves around four friends who are into a lot of extreme sports including skating, surfing, snowboarding, and more.

The Ren & Stimpy Show

Premiering in 1991, this was one of Nick's original cartoons (along with Rugrats and Doug). The show focuses on two main characters: emotionally unstable Ren and goofball Stimpy. This show did not win the favor of a lot of parents (including my own) due to its dark humor, sexual innuendos and adult jokes. Although this was another show aimed at an older audience, it didn't stop a lot of young children (like my brother and I) from watching it anyway.

SpongeBob SquarePants

Who am I kidding. SpongeBob is still a hit. The show first aired in 1996 (the year I was born, yay) and is still on the air, thankfully. The show focuses on main character, a sponge who works as a fry cook. His goofy, good-hearted self gets into all kinds of wacky situations with his best friend Patrick. This show will always be a classic.

Hey Arnold!

Another hit from 1996. The main character of the show is good-hearted 9-year-old Arnold. The show features events from his daily life and shows parts of growing up that a lot of younger kids could relate to.

The Wild Thornberrys

Last but not least... a show from 1998. This series focused on the Thornberry family and their wild adventures living in the wild. The main character's name is Eliza Thornberry and much of the show revolves around her and her special ability to talk to animals. There was even a crossover movie once that combined this show with Rugrats.

Obviously this list doesn't include every cool show from the 90s, but these are just a few for you to reminisce about. You're welcome.