20 Realistic Things We Should All Do This Year

Well, maybe not all of them...

23

Going into 2015, I had high hopes. I was going to start saving money, lose some weight, delete his number and take better care of myself. Did I do anything of those things? Nope. But that's what 2016 is for. Here's a list of 20 things we can all achieve this year to make us all better people in the long run.

1. Save more money.

I'm not saying we should all save hundreds of dollars by next semester, but start by saving a little. Maybe put $20 aside from every paycheck, or keep receipts for a week to see where you spend most of your money. You may be surprised how much money goes to Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks in a week.

2. Brush your teeth for a full two minutes.

Understandable that we all get a little busy sometimes and may rush brushing our teeth, but brushing your teeth is so important. Set a timer, on your phone or your watch, to make sure you spend two full minutes. Doing this decreases your liklihood of getting cavities, reduces bacteria in your mouth, gets rid of morning breath and makes your teeth shiny and white!

3. Drink more water!

While we may think we drink enough water, chances are that we actually don't. Water helps control calories, energizes muscles, helps keep your skin looking good, and helps with digestion! Eight glasses a day can seem like a lot, so have a glass with every meal and then maybe add some fruit to your water bottle during the day to spice it up! It really does make a difference.

4. Go on a social media purge.

Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter — unfollow or de-friend all of the accounts and people that make you feel like shit. That classmate from high school that always posts things on their Facebook to get a rise out of people? De-friend. That one person we all know that posts selfies on Instagram way too much and just bothers you? Unfollow. It allows you to focus on the things and people we actually care about instead of constantly being annoyed on social media.

5. Set aside a little quiet time to yourself every day.

Give yourself a little bit of time every day to just chill. No screens, or other people, just you. Use the time to read a book for enjoyment (textbooks don't count), nap, take a bath, have a cup of tea or meditate. Whatever will help you to take a breath and conquer the rest of your day.

6. Eat healthy.

I know, I know, everyone says this, and it is definitely the hardest one to stay with (at least for me). It's not necessarily about being skinny, but rather about putting good food in your body to give you energy to get through the day. Try buying quality ingredients at the grocery store, that way you're excited to cook a healthy dinner when you get home! If you find a healthy meal you love, make extra so you have lunch the next day! If it helps, keep track of what you eat using an app on your phone like "Lose It!" (there are so many). Indulge in moderation, but also make sure you eat plenty of fruits, veggies and protein. Your body depends on it.

7. Take care of your face.

We all know what it's like to get home from a long day and just want to go straight to bed without washing our face or taking our makeup off. And even though it might be a hassle, it is so important to both take all of our makeup off, and to wash our face every night. I am so guilty of just using a makeup wipe to take it off, but that still leaves all the grime and dirt on my face from the day. Washing your face when you wake up is crucial to remove build up of dirt, oil and bacteria and to boost hydration (also use a great moisturizer — I use Aveeno Ultra Calming). It helps us to keep our skin clear, and looking young.

8. Get enough sleep.

According to the National Sleep Foundation, young adults (ages 18-25) should get 7-9 hours of sleep every night. Too little sleep leaves us tired, irritable, sad, anxious and weakens our immune systems. Getting enough sleep improves memory, helps us to live longer lives, curbs inflammation, spurs creativity, improves grades, and helps to maintain healthy weight. So many benefits.

9. Pick out your outfits before bed.

Sure, it might seem a little tedious the night before but you would be surprised how much quicker you'll get ready in the morning when your outfit is already laid out. Plus, it reduces the chance of "I have nothing to wear soooo I'm just going to wear sweats/yoga pants".

10. Bitch a little less.

The occasional rant is obviously still OK but this goal is meant to help us think before we speak. You'd be surprised how thinking positively and complaining less can really change your mindset and attitude.

11. When you're listening to someone, actually listen.

We're all guilty of it, staring into space as a friend or family member talks and nod our head pretending to listen. This year, make an effort to actually listen to what they are saying. It will definitely be appreciated on their end, and the conversation will seem less tedious if you are invested in it.

12. Go on more adventures.

Big adventures or small, challenge yourself to thinking outside the box and trying new things. Maybe it's an adventure to a new coffee shop to study, or it may be an adventure to a different country, whatever it is, get up and do something! YOLO as they say.

13. Look nice for yourself.

Look good, feel good. This doesn't have to mean every single day, but take the time to look good for yourself. Going out to dinner? Wear lipstick because you like the way it looks, not to impress someone else. I know that when I dress up I feel confident and ready to rock. Dressing nice and doing my makeup for myself starts my day or night on the right foot and gets me in a great mood.

14. Try a new workout or workout class.

It could be yoga, Zumba, hot yoga, Pure Barre, Crossfit, a new home workout or getting a personal trainer. Doesn't matter what it is, but try a new way to exercise! You never know if you'll find a new workout you love!

15. Smile more.

The power of positivity. Smile at the cashier at the super market. Smile at babies in line in front of you (my friends think that's creepy of me but I think it's normal). Smile at classmates on campus. And smile at yourself in the mirror! Smiling is the best! One person might think you're weird, but it could make another person's day.

16. Make a bucket list for the year.

Make a list of all of the things you want to accomplish this year and write it down. It could be something like go skydiving, or it could be something like get straight A's this upcoming semester. Whatever it may be, make a list so you can set goals and give yourself exciting things to look forward to for the year. This way, when the years ends you can look back at everything you checked off and give yourself a pat on the back!

17. Change one thing in your diet.

I know, back to the eating healthy thing. For a lot of us there is one thing in our diet that makes us weak. For some it might be chocolate, others it might be soda. For me, it's cheese. This year I've striving to be aware of how much cheese I eat and try to set myself a limit on how much cheese I can eat every week. It'll be hard, but it's something I can see impacting my health and body.

18. Treat yourself the way you want to be treated.

This is a big one for me. My number one priority this year is me. I need to love myself before someone else can love me. I need to respect my body and take care of it before I expect someone else to treat me right. We are all unique and irreplaceable and need to love ourselves.

19. Don't drink to blackout.

Hey college kids, this ones for you. If you're going to drink, drink responsibly. When you "blackout", your brain experiences a neurophysical, chemical disruption in the hippocampus. That is scary. Avoid blackouts by eating a good meal before you drink and drinking slowly.

20. Surround yourself with good company.

Last but certainly not least, surround yourself with those who lift you higher. It may sound lame but being around people who love you for you, people who make you laugh, and people who are always there for you will only make you a better person. Avoid those who bring you down and instead embrace your bffs who make you laugh until you pee your pants.

Maybe take one or two things from this list and apply them to your own life. Nobody is perfect, but there is always some sort of new years resolution to be made. Here's to 2016 being the best year yet.