10 Things I Want In My Future Husband

10 Things I Want In My Future Husband

You gotta know how to treat me like a lady, even when I'm acting crazy, and tell me everything's alright.

133
10 Things I Want In My Future Husband

Ever since I was a little girl, I've dreamed of my wedding day. The dress, the maid of honor, the colors, and most importantly, the guy. As I got older, I started to actually plan out my life: start dating in high school, find a serious guy in college, date for a few years, get engaged for a year, then get married and have children. Well, I'm in college now, so I'm on the hunt for my Mr. Right. So here's a list of 10 things I want in a guy as my future husband. I'm really not asking for much, and I am sure every girl can relate.

1. A sense of humor.

They say laughter is the best medicine, right? I tend to think life is a funny thing, and taking it too seriously just isn't my forte. I'm one of the funniest people I know, so if I can find someone to be my comedic counterpart for life-- I am SO set. Daughtry truly said it best when singing "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter/ As long as I'm laughing with you".

2. A desire to be chivalrous.

The actual definition of chivalry is "the combination of qualities expected of an ideal knight, especially courage, honor, courtesy, justice, and a readiness to help the weak". Even if there aren't actual knights in this day and age, you've gotta admit, if he possesses those qualities he'll sure appear as a night in shining armor to you! Seriously though, if you truly believe you deserve the best (which you should, because you're, like, perfect, DUH), then you shouldn't accept any less than a chivalrous man. He'll treat you like you deserve how to be treated. I get the feels when I have the door opened for me, or see a guy standing up when I walk into a room, or when I'm brought Starbucks or flowers for no reason at all, or when he gives me his jacket when I'm freezing. So to chivalrous guys everywhere-- we thank you.

3. A strong work ethic.

Growing up, I can recall my dad working hard to provide my family with everything we needed, or quite frankly, everything that we really wanted. Looking back on my life, I couldn't be more grateful, and I expect my future husband to follow in suit. I've been raised to believe that if you want really want something, you have to put in the hard work to get it, and that is one of the qualities I anticipate passing on to my future children. Not only is work ethic about working hard, but it instills qualities of reliability, dedication, cooperation and character. PLUS, it is not attractive to see someone driven and filled with ambition, wanting to achieve their goals?

4. A fair amount of patience.

Growing up, it wasn't uncommon for one of my brothers to tell me they felt bad for the guy I would once marry. In some respects, I actually kind of agree. Sometimes I have an attitude, I'm a girl after all. I can be a little dramatic, and its not a full day until I've been emotional at some point. It's going to take one very patient man to put up with me on an everyday basis. God grant him patience, because he will most definitely need it.

5. A sense of independence.

I don't want to smother you, and I don't want you to smother me either. Being around each other 24/7 can be a little much, and I understand that. I want you to be able to have your own things, like golfing or being a gear head or going out with your friends. And if you're the man I believe you to be, I won't really have to worry about it. I want you to want the same for me, too. Our lives were separate before we got together, so just because we've merged them together now doesn't mean you have to get rid of all the things that really make you happy, and that really make you, you.

6. A desire for adventure.

I want to see the Grand Canyon, Old Faithful, visit Europe, see the Trevi Fountain. They're literally all on my bucket list. And what would be more enjoyable than seeing them with someone I love? I want fun and excitement in my life forever and ever, and I wan't my husband to want the same.

7. A kind heart.

This is a step above common decency, ladies. And as simple of a concept as kindness is, I've found it super rare to actually find in a guy. To an extent I think this could go hand in hand with being chivalrous. I want my husband to have a genuine concern for other people, whether it be the person who checks him out at the grocery store or the UPS guy who delivers our packages. I doesn't cost a single penny to be kind to someone else, so whats the point in being mean all the time?

8. A respect for his sisters.

We've all heard it before: "Watch how he treats his sisters, because that's how he will treat you when you're with him!" I believe this to be 100% true, coming from a real life sister with brothers who are dating. And if he doesn't have sisters, its applicable to all siblings. Of course, when you're growing up you get into little fights with your siblings. My oldest brother and I used to go at it ALL THE TIME. But now that we're older and out of high school, its weird-- we're like... friends now? Really though, we have a great relationship. He treats me with respect and I couldn't ask for any better of a brother. When he has a girlfriend, he treats her good and works hard to be the best partner he can be. So take this as my letter of recommendation-- he's great, and I'm sure in a few years, after the other one grows up, he will be, too. (P.S. He's single!)

9. A strong sense of family values.

A guy with a strong sense of family value is one worth marrying in my opinion. This is the type of guy who truly cherishes family time, and realized how important it actually is. Not only will his close, loving relationship with his family make you love him more, but it will more than likely carry on into your relationship when you start to build your own family. And whats better than a family man?

10. A strong faith.

This one is important. I was raised in a Christian household, and I plan on raising my children in a Christian household. My grandma had me in church at the ripe age of 5 weeks old! When I envision my future, say 50 years from now, I see my smiling self sitting in a church pew on a Sunday next to the man I've been married to for years. I want to avidly work to serve the Lord, and I want to do it together. In my kitchen at home there's a little wooden plaque with the verse from Joshua 24, which states: "But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD." I want that to be true for my house, my family, and my life.

"...and they lived happily ever after."