Why Weekend Trips Are The Best

Why Weekend Trips Are The Best

New places and new faces.

4
Why Weekend Trips Are The Best
The Plunge

When the word ‘vacation’ comes to mind, most people probably think of some lavish, week-long getaway to a tropical island. While that’s definitely an appealing idea, it’s not quite as doable as we would all like it to be. Trip planning can be expensive, and not everyone has the capability of going away for a long period of time. When money and other responsibilities seem to get in the way, I urge you to ponder the possibility of a weekend road trip. They might not seem as exciting or relaxing as hanging out on a beach somewhere, but you’ll definitely come across some truly riveting spots you can’t help but fall in love with.

Upon entering college, I saw how difficult it could be trying to find a window of time I could use to get away somewhere. Thankfully, things ended up working out every so often and I found myself researching places I had never been before. You can start out easy and travel to visit your friends that left home for school. Depending on the town, there might not be that much to do, but exploring an unfamiliar campus and seeing how your friends go about their day-to-day lives is actually really cool. You’ll also end up meeting loads of new people which is sometimes just as fascinating as exploring new sites. I also found that road tripping in general made me wish I had done more in-depth college hunting years ago. I’ve been to quite a few cities I wish I could have spent those transformative four years in.

If college campuses aren’t so much your thing, you can always find places based upon your main interests. I’m a fairly big music fan, so making my way to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was a must at some point in my life. I ended up loving the museum, as well as Cleveland itself. I’ve actually gone back for two short trips since I first visited and I’m itching to go again. I’ve found myself specifically checking tour announcements for Ohio dates just so I could have an excuse to make my way back. Cleveland aside, there are also plenty of other areas I’m looking to check out due to the museums located there. It seems being a New York City native has given me a keen interest in all sorts of exhibitions. They sometimes pop up in locations not so commonly visited, which can surprisingly make a trip even more captivating.

Sometimes going somewhere with the intention of just being super tourist-y is pleasurable. I’m a real sucker for themed tours. Whether it’s about celebrities, ghosts, or food, I’m there. Nothing excites me more than the prospect of taking up even more of the storage space my iPhone swears I don’t have. I like to capture it all: buildings, storefronts, statues, street decor, animals, the food I eat, etc. I don’t take the photos just to show off to all of my Facebook friends and give them serious FOMO, but because it’ll come in handy in the future when I’m feeling nostalgic. I’ll get to look back at my amazing adventure and remember how great it was and remind myself to either go back or visit a new place that will hopefully bring about similar feelings.

People can be skeptical to go away for a few days to unfamiliar towns. Whether the possibility of bad weather turns them off to the idea, or the never-ending car ride, certain things can seem to make the travel possibility unappealing. If you go with the right people, anything you do will be entertaining. Weekend trips also grant you the opportunity to check out areas for a quick visit given the small chance you end up hating it. It's relatively non-committal and just less pressure overall. While sitting at home doing nothing for the weekend might seem like the better idea, a change of pace in a new place can make your year. If you want to save money for a bigger getaway, that's fine. If you're not one for venturing out of your comfort zone, that's also fine (but a real shame). I promise, if you're looking for a little escape and memories that will last a lifetime, you'll grab your friends, your car keys, and get going immediately.