Hello Dieters, KETO, Whole 30, Weight Watchers, Juice Cleansers, And Everyone Else, Here's The Tea On Why You Are Getting Temporary Results.

With diet trends, almost every year piling and piling up on everyone's to try lists which one actually gives results? Which one is the best? I hate to break it to all of you but none of them is going to be the end-all final result in the maze of maintaining a healthy body mass index.

75
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4armFI8C09U

There have been many diet trends since the beginning of pop culture icons. All of them are different or similar while also having a few very specific differences that supposedly makes one better than the other. However much you lean into these trends you may see change with some more than others the change will be immediate and drastic. This change though often has a huge kickback. Meaning what you lose often times comes back with a fury. First, we need to understand these trends, why they produce results, and why these results are temporary and finally we can then understand the overwhelming commonality of all of these diets.

Keto

cdn.pixabay.com

The Keto Diet is basically the Atkins diet with minor tweaks. If you don't know what that is here is it simplified. It is a low carb high-fat diet. So think about it like this you are allotted about 10-20 grams of carbs, 40-60 grams of fat, and the remaining is filled with protein. Now it is good fats that you're allowed. Basically avocado fats, certain kinds of butter, cheese, and stuff like that. The thing that people love about the Keto diet is the high and fast reward rate. For example, I know someone who lost a good 40 pounds doing the Keto. However, at some point, your body needs to exit ketosis in order for it to stay healthy and build certain proteins and keep fighting cholesterols. So your exit ketosis and slowly or quickly gain back all you lost either in water weight or in reaction to leaving ketosis. "Previous research shows good evidence of a faster weight loss when patients go on a ketogenic or very low carbohydrate diet compared to participants on a more traditional low-fat diet, or even a Mediterranean diet. However, that difference in weight loss seems to disappear over time," (Dr. Campos, Harvard Health Publishing). Most doctors also recommend the diet as a short term quick solution to weight loss and not as a long-term fix to all life's problems. Especially in the matter of heart issues and diabetes. So in short due to its difficult rules, high fats, and the need to be in a constant state of ketosis results are not everlasting. Eventually, you plateau unless you alter the diet or add something new.

Below are some links to learn more about the keto diet and also what the temporary effects and the long term risks of continuing the diet.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/keto...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/ketogenic-diet...

https://www.cooperinstitute.org/2019/01/23/the-tru...

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-gui...

Whole 30

cdn.pixabay.com

Let's start this out by saying that the Whole 30 has a remarkable ranking of 38th out of 38 diets from the US News and World Reports. Derived from the Paleo diet the new Whole30 is the "whole foods" approach that lasts 30 days. Whole foods meaning that you eliminate processed and packaged foods for 30 days and 30 nights. You also avoid beans and legumes, dairy products, sugar (including natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup), alcohol, all grains, and starchy vegetables like potatoes. They recommend only eat when hungry and that when you do eat to read the labels and know all of the ingredients. One plus is there is not a calorie count on this diet but, you can't eat a big chunk of foods besides certain veggies, fruits, and proteins. So, in short, you eat barely anything and you miraculously lose weight. A concept for sure. With that said after the 30-day trend you gradually reintroduce produce, dairy, and some processed foods into your diet which is how you figure out which foods you (have had) or now have an intolerance to. If you've ever been vegan/vegetarian the process of coming off vegetarianism is often very digestively memorable since your body doesn't know how to process these foods anymore. Much can be said with everything else as well. The problem with reintroducing these foods into your diet is that most people find that they gain back the weight they lost as they reintroduce foods. Most people do not lose a magical 40 plus pounds most people lose up to ten pounds. So it isn't the miracle weightloss diet more so just a good way to figure out what your body is intolerant to.

Links to facts about the diet below.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pros-an...

The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom

https://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/di...

The Inside Story of the Whole 30 Diet – Healthy Living ...https://healthylivingassociation.org › the-inside-story-of-thewhole-30-diet

Juice Cleanses

live.staticflickr.com

The newest fad is to not eat but drink....juice. Yum.

A juice cleanse is pretty self-explanatory you consume only squeezed fruits and vegetables. The cool thing is that this diet only last 3-10 days. According to the benefits juice is rich with vitamins, extra nutrients, acts as an anti-inflammatory, may boost immune systems, possibly help remove toxins, and improve digestions. However, the risks are pretty significant. Drinking large quantities of juice can cause harm to those with kidney disorders due to most juices containing oxalate, an acid that can contribute to kidney stones and other kidney issues. If one consumes unpasteurized juices they are actually at a greater risk of illness especially people with an already weakened immune system from sickness or immune diseases. In other words, one should be very careful reading the labels to make sure they are consuming pasteurized products. Then juice cleanse products are usually also a laxative or contain bowel stimulants which can cause people to lose nutrients and electrolytes and lead to dehydration. Then it is a low calorie based diet and like most reduced-calorie diet it will result in temporary weight loss but not long-lasting. You cannot sustain yourself on juice forever so eventually when reintroducing food into your diet the weight will return. "It's just like the Atkins diet. The weight you lose is water weight," said Dr. James Dillard, assistant clinical professor at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City. Even Mayo Clinic states that there is no proof that long term a juice cleanse will aid in much of detox, permanent weight loss and can put permanent damage on the metabolism.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323136.php

https://www.projectjuice.com/how-to-cleanse

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03/22/do-juice-...

What To Try Instead

cdn.pixabay.com

If its diet you're looking to fix in order to lose weight most doctors can agree upon would be the Mediterranean diet. Many say that it is a great alternative to the keto diet and much easier to maintain long term. For more information here is some information about the diet.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutri...

https://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-12-reasons...

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/mediterranean-...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mediterranean...

Now with that said in order to keep the weight off the answer is simple you need to include exercise.

How To Maintain:

Sorry to break it to you but just following a short term diet or changing up you eating habits is only part of the uphill climb to losing weight. In order to truly get to your goals you need to find a balance that is unique to you. Creating a fun exercise routine and gently increasing it over time as you get better will help you in the long run. I find that cardio is the best to shed unwanted weight. In addition to that you can't just eat whatever you want whenever if you really want to shed some weight or fix some health issue that's been bothering you. I recommend going onto Pinterest and finding excursuses that you feel comfortable trying to complete. Then in addition finding a comfortable balance of health foods with foods that you actually enjoy from time to time. Or possibly even trying one of these diets but in a short term stance and then modify it.

It Is Okay To Cheat

Diets are not fun. They aren't. If you meet a person that says they love constantly restraining themselves and dieting then you know that friend is certainly in the words of Josh Peck "not a truther." It is okay to cheat every once and a while and reward yourself for hard work. One snack is not going to undo all your hardworking but completely dropping your efforts will surely do that.

Love Your Body For You!

"I'm my own soulmate I know how to love me."

Be your own soulmate and love your body. Sometimes you won't look like every girl or guy you want to look like. Instead of modeling yourself based on others try to see the good within yourself. It is okay to be different. If we all looked exactly the same the world would be a lot less beautiful after all. At the end of the day, no diet is going to give you self-love. You have find ways to be happy and content within yourself. In short, if you have weight loss goals make sure to do the healthy way and always treat yourself with the respect you deserve.