What Every American League Team Needs This Offseason

Who is on which GM's wish lists?

30
wordpress.com

As the Winter Meetings were going strong all week I think it is important to mention what every team needs to prepare for the 2017 season.

American League West

Houston Astros:

The Astro's have already made multiple moves this offseason to improve their catching, starting pitching, and outfield. However after trading for Jamie Garcia they are still missing that ACE that could lead to a World Series contending team. That is why trading for Chris Sale should be their top priority.

Los Angeles Angels:

The Angels need to trade Pujols and Mike Trout this offseason. They need to go through a complete rebuilding process and target the Cubs, Red Sox, and Dodgers for their rich farm systems.

Oakland Athletics:

The Oakland Athletics being a small market it is hard to tell them to spend big on the free agency market. That is why if they can target starting pitching like Chris Archer that are cheap and dependable could lead to a surprise team in the west. More likely after a disappointing season the Athletics will be sellers and dangle Sonny Gray out to the other 29 teams thinking they can win the World Series.

Seattle Mariners:

The Seattle Mariners are trying to win now by trading Walker, and having another productive season from Cano with a healthy Hernandez brings good things, but this team is not strong enough to compete with the Rangers and the Astros, and should look to find cheap young talent instead of fishing for players at the top of everyone's wish lists.

Texas Rangers:

The favorite to win the division had a rough series in the ALDS, but with a young core paired with strong veterans like Beltre and Andrus this team should look to resign Desmond, and join the sweepstakes for Chris Sale by offering a Gallo/Profar centered trade.

American League Central

Chicago White Sox:

This team is horribly disappointing every year, and should trade Quintana and Sale to hopefully have a shot of being good in the next decade.

Cleveland Indians:

A world series team usually won't need a lot of improvements, but when your offense was led by the likes of Napoli, Jose Ramirez, and Jason Kipnis' career years their should be doubt that can be replicated. That is why the Indians should make a big splash and sign Edwin Encarcion for a 3 year 75 million dollar contract. This is an obvious egregious contract, but for one of the best power hitters in the game he would fit nicely in that 1st basemen role replacing Mike Napoli.

Detroit Tigers:

This is an interesting team that can either go into a rebuilding mode, or try to stay relevant for the next two/three years. I think the Tiger's have the pieces to be a really good team centered around a power offense in J.D, Upton, and Cabrera; a strong middle infield in Iglesias and Kinsler; while maintaining a good rotation in Verlander and Fulmer. What Detroit has been lacking the past couple years is a good bullpen, and with this year having two of the best out on the market that is when Detroit should pounce and sign Aroldis Chapman for 5 years 80 million and Kenley Jansen both for three years 45 million dollars. With these additions the Tigers could contend with the Indian's next year.

Kansas City Royals:

Due to injuries and lack luster performances from some stars the 2015 World Champs had a bad 2016 campaign. Sadly, I just do not think this team as it as right now can compete with the Tigers and the Indians because of their starting pitching situation. That is why the Royals if they want to stay relevant when they still have players like Hosmer, Cain, and Gordon they need to upgrade starting pitching through trades or the free agent market. The Royals top target should be Sonny Gray.

Minnesota Twins:

The Minnesota Twins have young players like Buxton, Sano, and Berríos that should be built around a young core as well. That is why pitcher Phil Hughes, and second basemen Brian Dozier should be traded to bring back more prospects for the future.

American League East

Baltimore Orioles:

Resigning Mark Trumbo is a must for this team, but finding quality starting pitching is what has consistently kept the Orioles from dominating their division. Pitchers like Ubaldo should be long forgotten, and the Orioles should be calling the Athletics to find out what the price tag on Gray is.

Boston Red Sox:

In the playoffs the Red Sox were heavily favored against the Indians, but still were swept in the ALDS largely in part due to starting pitching. The Redsox staff features the current Cy Young winner, and a former Cy young winner but the argument could be made the Redsox do not have an ACE that could match up with any other team's. That is why trading for Gray, Archer, or Sale should be the team's top priority, and then figuring out what to do at third base for the season.

New York Yankees:

The Yankees showed some promise last year with young players like Gary Sanchez, but still do not seem ready to make a big chase for the AL east crown, so this offseason stockpiling on relief pitchers and young players seem like their best option. If they find themselves in a pennant race they have the tools to keep going, but if they do not they can trade those relief pitchers for more young talent.

Tampa Bay Rays:

The Rays are not going anywhere in a tough AL east, and that is why they should deal some of that young starting pitching. Chris Archer should be sent to the Dodgers or Cubs for some good offensive prospects, and Alex Cobb should be traded to whichever team garners the biggest haul.

Toronto Blue Jays:

With their power offense some people forget just how good their starting pitching was last year. That is why the Blue Jays should focus on resigning their two big bats that are hitting the free agent market. If they fail or succeed they should still be picking up the phone and trying to make deals to improve their second base position.