Trip Planning 101
Travel

Trip Planning 101

Some Basics To Think About When Planning Your Next Trip Or Vacation.

61
Trip Planning 101
Photo by Simon Migaj on Unsplash

So, it's that time of year you've been saving up all that paid-time-off for. Schools out, and the kids are antsy. It is time! The moment you have been waiting for. Plan a trip, get out of the office or the house and explore! But, planning a trip isn't the easiest of things for some people, especially depending on all you have going on in your life. If you're that person, welcome! If you're a drop everything and just randomly pick a direction and see what happens along the way. I hate you.

But for the rest of us, it's time to start gathering your inspiration! So, what do you need to know about planning a trip? First off let's get back to the basics: Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How. Yea, takes you back to your school days a bit doesn't?

The Who:

The Who

Photo by Dane Deaner on Unsplash

Are you thinking about going on this trip alone or inviting people to join in on this adventure. Family? Friends? Do you have small children, or, rambunctious pals? These are important things to think about as you begin the planning process for your trip. If you have small kids you might think twice about super long car rides or difficult trips like long backpacking excursions. A group of friends could be fun, but the memories you can make with your family might be more special.

The What:

What

Photo by Trevor Cleveland on Unsplash

What do you plan to do or what sort of goals are you wanting to accomplish while on this trip or vacation. Make sure they are clear but at the same time, don't stress to much over it, go with the flow a bit and see where the trip might take you. You might wind up having some great experiences off the beaten path.

The When:

Time

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Time, time, time… We all desire to have it. Well now that you've requested that paid-time-off or vacation leave, it's all yours. Take into consideration the time of year. The seasons and weather can effect road conditions for traveling, or effect whether you camp, backpack, go to the beach, etc. Additionally, it will play a card on whether or not a location is packed with tourists or mainly locals. It can also have an effect on event prices or ticket prices if you travel via plane, train or bus. This is probably one of the first steps you want to take in your overall considerations. It also plays a major role in what you pack. Winter or colder areas you might want to pack for wearing layers, while summer or hot locations loose fitting clothing and sunscreen.

The Where:

Where

Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

Alright, decision time. Where are you wanting to go? Of course 'Where and What" are super important steps in your trip planning. So, take some time. You already have the time or days requested off, most likely weeks in advance, now's the time to really get down and dirty and figure out where you want to go, and then what you plan to do while there.

The Why:

why

Photo by Evan Dennis on Unsplash

Obviously, everyone has his or her own reason behind taking a trip. Sometimes it is just nice to escape the constant technology or rhythm of everyday life and spread your wings. Do something different, try something new. But, whatever your reasoning maybe have fun, and enjoy yourself.

The How:

How

Photo by Jazmin Ali on Unsplash

Don't forget to budget. This probably should be first and foremost, but if you're like me, I prefer to figure out where I want to go and what I want to do before I do anything else. What are you going to use to get to your vacation location? Drive yourself, take a Greyhound bus, fly on a plane but then keep in mind you have to use public transport or rent a car wherever you land; or maybe try something totally different and take your time by train to your trip location, or perhaps a combination. But, all and all, in the end, make the trip your own. Have fun with it and have fun with the planning, don't let it stress you out. After all, it's your time.