New Indie Artists

5 Up-And-Coming Indie Artists You Need To Know

Start listening before everyone else does.

paris
paris
104

Been needing new music? Look no further. Familiarize yourself with these 5 indie music artists before they blow up- you'll be glad you did!

1. Gus Dapperton

Gus Dapperton first began turning heads (and ears) when he released his single, "Moodna, Once With Grace" in May of 2016. Since then, he has gone on to release many more singles and two EPs. His first EP, Yellow and Such, garnered Gus a larger group of listeners. After releasing his second EP, You Think You're a Comic!, in early 2018, it became clear that his music was truly special. Gus says that every lyric in each of his songs has a literal meaning, a metaphorical meaning, and a secret meaning that only he knows. Combine his meaningful lyricism with his electronic beats and groovy melodies reminiscent of 80s synth-pop, and you have something truly magical. Gus is very recognizable, known for his brightly colored, bowl-cut hair, pearl earrings, and unique clothing. His meticulously detailed, visually striking music videos have made quite the impact on the internet as well. Despite having yet to release a full-length album, Gus Dapperton has already developed one of the most distinctive sounds of today's artists. He's already been featured in The New York Times and Vogue, and something tells us that there's much more to come. For first-time listeners, we recommend "Gum, Toe, and Sole", and "Ditch."

2. Still Woozy

His name perfectly describes his music: dreamy, funky, and a little bit removed from reality. The true magic of Still Woozy's songs lies in their ridiculously catchy beats. Sven Gamsky, the man behind Still Woozy, has been in the music industry for a few years, but just began this solo project last year. His first single, Vacation, was released in May of 2017. Since then, Sven has released 5 more songs as singles- he always puts his songs out into the world only hours after he's finished with them. Although we'd love to have a full-length album, this music release method is pretty interesting. Considering Still Woozy is pretty new to the world, it has already seen great success, with over 1 million monthly listeners on Spotify. We're sure that this success is just the beginning. Two great introductory tracks are "Goodie Bag" and "Lucy."

3. Kid Bloom

This band first formed in 2015 and released their first song, "Different State Of Mind," into the world in early 2016. This song is actually their most successful to date, with nearly 4 million streams on Spotify. Not without reason- the track is absolutely perfect. Kid Bloom's music is a bit funky, a bit pop-y, and a bit rock-y. Take a listen- it'll be hard for you to pin them to a genre. Kid Bloom released their first and only album so far, A Long Kiss Goodbye, in September of 2017. This past summer, they released a dreamy single called "Prom?" that you definitely need to hear. Kid Bloom's upcoming EP, Lemonhead, is set to come out very soon. We can't wait to hear more from this group!

4. Her's

No matter what kind of music you usually listen to, it's safe to say that Her's' music is quite different from anything else you've heard. The band began making music in 2016, releasing their first two singles, Dorothy and What Once Was, that April. Coincidentally, these two songs are also our personal favorites. Their sleepy, hazy, angsty melodies are just perfect. Her's continued to release many singles and even two albums throughout 2017 and 2018. We're sure that there is much more to come from Her's, and we just can't wait! In the meantime, you should definitely listen to the aforementioned songs as well as "Marcel" and "Cool With You!"

5. Will Joseph Cook

Will Joseph Cook? We're not sure, but he can definitely sing! Name-related jokes aside, Will Joseph Cook is one of the most underrated indie artists of today. He began making music in 2015 when he released his first EP, You Jump I Run. Only a few months later, he released his second EP, Proof Enough. These two EP's marked a strong start for WJC, but he truly made a splash when he released his insanely catchy single, "Girls Like Me." The world fell in love with this jumpy pop hit, which now has nearly 6 million streams on Spotify! WJC's first full-length album came out in April of 2017, and we've been dying for more ever since. Although Will hasn't released anything new in 2018, he is currently working on his second album. We're sure that plenty of new, exciting things are not far down the road for him. Some underrated bops by WJC are "Daisy Chains" and "For Thursday," but you can hardly go wrong with any of his songs! Get ready to dance, because it's pretty much impossible not to.

Listen now, thank us later. You've just found your five newest music obsessions!