Top 6 Attractions In St. Louis

Top 6 Attractions In St. Louis

St. Louis is a cool city on its own, but sometimes a native has the inside look.

44
Top 6 Attractions In St. Louis
Daniel Schwen

St. Louis, Missouri is known for being the city with the Gateway Arch or Nelly's hometown. There are some things that are especially awesome that can only be done in STL.

1. The Arch

Price: $13 for ages 16+; $10 for ages 3-15

How can I mention St. Louis without also mentioning the Gateway Arch? The Gateway Arch, know as the Arch to natives, is 630 feet tall (or 63 stories) and is the tallest building in the city, by law. The Arch contains 1,076 steps that are used for emergencies only and a tram is used to take people to the viewing area at the top. It was built as a monument to Thomas Jefferson's vision and the westward expansion and even contains a museum under the base of the Arch.

2. The Zoo

Price: Free

The St. Louis zoo has been named The Best Free Attraction in America by USAToday this year. It is also been named the third best zoo in the country and the fourth best worldwide. The zoo includes polar bears, penguins, a sting ray pet pool, and my favorite: the sea lion tunnel. The tunnel is a more recent attraction where visitors can walk under the sea lions' home and be surrounded on three sides by water and animals. The zoo is one of my favorite things to do in St. Louis because of its family friendly price. Also, if you go in the winter, you may be able to walk among the penguins.

3. The Citygarden

Price: Free

The Citygarden is located in the middle of downtown and is considered both a traditional garden and a sculpture park. The park contains 24 sculptures that visitors are encouraged to touch and engage with. The artwork ranges from a giant hollow bronze head to a very large body-less pink suit to Pinocchio and are monumental to human-scale in size. In the summer, there are three water attractions, a small splash pool, a larger wade pool, and a spray plaza full of fountains.

4. Busch Stadium

Price: Varies

Busch Stadium is home to the St. Louis Cardinals' baseball team and is the pride and joy of the city. Games are especially fun to go to with friends, and many schools take field trips to the stadium as well. It is also possible to get tickets as low as $10; though, expect prices to soar when the rival Chicago Cubs come around.

5. The Muny

Price: Varies, but free seats are often available

The Muny is the nation's oldest and largest outdoor theatre and was built in 1916, though it has history dating back to the World's Fair in 1904. Every summer the Muny puts on a series of shows ranging from "The Wizard of Oz" to "Aida" and has hosted several celebrities on stage. The Muny is definitely worth-while stop in the summer months.

6. The City Museum

Price: $12 or $10 after 5pm;+$5 to visit the roof

The City Museum is one of my favorite places in the entire world. It is housed in in the 600,000 square-foot former International Shoe Company. I know the word museum can be off-putting for some, but this is no ordinary museum. The City Museum is a giant playground for everyone from ages kid to adult. The best part is that everything is recycled from parts of the City. The museum boasts a 10-story slide which is a must for first-time and 100th-time visitors. The fun extends outside to a ball-pit and multiple slide. On the roof, there is a school bus perched off the side of the building as well as a ferris-wheel. There is always something new being added to the museum so that each visit is a little different from the last.

There you have it, my top six St. Louis attractions to visit whether you're a tourist or vacationing in your hometown. These spots are not to be missed.