To The One Constant Source Of Protection

Since 1996.

15
Nicolette D.

There are so many people who help us when we are in need! Sure, real people, such as our friends and family, help us by giving advice and listening to us when we need it most; but what about the times when we just want to vent and not feel judgement what-so-ever? We often thank so many people in a given day, sometimes without even thinking about it. There is one object, however, that I’m not so sure has gotten the appropriate amount of our appreciation.

Sitting on your bed, probably hidden under a blanket or pillow, is the best friend you’ve had since you were a baby. Never have the two of you gotten into a fight, you have always agreed, and they are always there for you. I’m taking about your most treasured stuffed animal, the ultimate source of protection. If we have anything in common, this is the one constant that is never capable of being replaced. The simple thought of losing it is heart-breaking and you try to avoid the thought at all costs. You named it and I guarantee that 2-year-old you gave it the most ridiculous name your imagination could withstand! There are so many reasons I have to be forever thankful for mine!

Now that “the cat is out of the bag,” I guess I should probably begin by giving you credit for coming to the first day of school with me every single year. You were such a trooper in the front pouch of my book-bag all those years. Along the same line, thank you for coming to my high school graduation, you went to every first day of school, so it was only fair to let you come to the very last.

You were a rock during every life-shattering event that I thought was going to ruin me forever, some much larger than others: never-ending problems with boys, girl drama, doctor’s appointments for strep throat, when I thought I was going to fail college Chemistry, and when my parents decided to split up three days after Christmas of 2014. I knew that under my pillow when I flopped down on my bed sobbing with mascara flowing down my cheek, you would be there. You took the brunt of some of those issues, when I thought nothing could fix it. Not true! I always found myself going back to the place on the floor where you landed, picking you up, and waking up the next morning with you still in my hand. When my Grandad passed away, you were there, in all your glory. Just this past weekend, I still found myself grateful for you when I watch some of my greatest friends move on to bigger and better places.

You’ve been there for the best times too: dancing around the living room during family vacation in Ocean City, Maryland with Barney videos on repeat, every birthday (especially my Sweet 16), my very first Phillies game, every high school theater production, and my last trip to Disney World where you rode on my first roller coaster in my drawstring bag under the seat! When I moved on to college, you came with -- my first conference, which changed my entire life forever, you were there.

While there is so much more I could say I am confident that everyone now understands just how thankful I am to have had you by my side for so long. Thank you for never hurting me, never judging me, and always being there for me no matter how much I tried to keep you a secret. Rest assured, our time together is far from over. I have no problem admitting that you will be the finest guest to attend my wedding and my children will own their very own “Tuffy” TY Beanie Baby as well.