20 Reasons I'm Grateful For My Lifelong Best Friend

Friends come and go, but you always stay.

655
Lindsey Webb

Friendship is a wonderful thing, but not often is it maintained throughout a lifetime. These types of friendships are rare and should be cherished. I have had one friend who I have known since I was a baby and I’m lucky enough to still call her my best friend today. These are 20 reasons that I am grateful for my lifelong best friend, for the 20 years in which I’ve called her mine.

1. You were my first friend

Therefore, you taught me what friendship is. We had a lot of bumps in the road during the early years of our friendship, but we always got through them. Thank you for being the first one to teach me what it’s like to have a friend.

2. My mom has always liked you

If I was grounded, my mom would still let me hang out with you. You were always the exception. I’m really glad my mom likes you. You have always been her favorite.

3. You taught me not to get hung up on the little things

When we were kids, we got upset about little things. But as we grew up, I think we both learned that the little things aren’t important. What’s more important is to cherish the time we have together.

4. For being jealous over me when we were young

We would always get jealous if one of us was hanging out with another friend. I know that I can remember a few times when I wished you were playing with me at your birthday party instead of your other friends. Even though this was silly, it means that we cared about each other.

5. You made me a part of your family

I don’t feel as though I am just a friend, but I am a part of your family. I get along with everyone and I never feel left out.

6. We always had so much fun together

Going to your house meant that I was going to have fun.

I looked forward to it for a week before I came. We played games until we were exhausted.

7. You are the sister I never had

Being an only child was sometimes hard because I didn’t have someone my age to play with at home. I am so grateful that you were my sister away from home.

8. You never leave my life

Friends come and go but you always stay. It is reassuring because I know I’ll never be alone no matter what happens.

9. You bring out my inner child

We grew up together, so I throw maturity out the window when we hang out. It’s nice because you’re one of the only people who I can show this side of me to, but at least I know it still exists. Being an adult all the time isn’t fun. We grew up, but our spirits never changed.

10. You've always set a good example

When we were young, I probably wouldn’t admit that you were my role model. But now that I’m older, I look up to you for a lot of things. You have grown into such a strong person and I admire you for that.

11. We don't gossip about each other

Maybe we talked about each other to our moms, but that’s the extent of our gossiping. I know you’re not going to go to one of your other friends and talk about me behind my back.

12. We're proud of each other

I’m plastered all over your house. I am featured over 10 times in pictures on your fridge. When someone visits the house, they’ll notice my face in several different locations. Likewise, all of my friends from home know who you are. I’m always talking about you because I am proud to be your friend.

13. You always try to make time for me

We’re older now, and you have a demanding job. I live at school two hours away, and we rarely have mutual free time. You attempt to make time for me anyways. It doesn’t always work out, but I always smile when I receive a text at the end of the week saying “Are you coming home this weekend?”

14. We do the same things

Our moms put us in all the same activities when we were kids. Naturally, we grew up doing the same things. We did gymnastics and played soccer. We both ditched gymnastics but ended up sticking with soccer. We played against each other for years throughout middle school and high school but never had hard feelings. I’m glad that we’ve always been able to share our love for the sport.

15. Our differences don't separate us

We have our differences, as any two people do. We recognize these differences and don’t see them as negative. We like different things and have different life choices, but that does not separate us in any way.

16. You're always looking out for me

I know you want the best for me. You truly want me to be happy and you never hesitate to help me out. I can genuinely feel that, and I feel the same way towards you. I know that we will support each other through life in any way possible.

17. The time we spend apart doesn't change our friendship

We spend months without seeing each other. When we were young, this was hard. Sometimes we would have trouble getting used to one another after being apart for so long. But now, we pick up right where we left off. It doesn’t matter if five years goes by and we don’t see each other. I know that when I show up on your doorstep, things will be just the same.

18. You're always there for the important things

We don’t see each other a lot, but you’re always there for when big things happen in my life. Just like family, you support me in the things that really matter. I realized this when you surprised me and showed up to my confirmation in the eighth grade. You came and sat in the audience for one of the most important events in my life, and that means a lot.

19. I never get tired of you

Maybe if we spent three whole days together we might have gotten tired of each other, but I generally never get tired of your presence. Obviously, since we’ve been friends for so long. No matter how old we get, I know I won’t get tired of you.

20. You will always be my unspoken best friend

We have a lot of other friends, but we both know our places in each other’s lives. We don’t have to claim each other as best friends because we understand that people will come and go but we will remain the same. We’ve been best friends from the start and no one else will ever be able to fill that spot.

I’m so confident that we will always be friends because you are one of the most important people in my life. You are my friend and my family, and I will always cherish you. Thank you for being you because I wouldn’t have it any other way. We’ve made it 20 years, let’s make it a lifetime!

From Your Site Articles