To The Girl Who Is Always A Bro

To The Girl Who Is Always A Bro

A letter to any girl who has ever felt that she is always a bro and doesn't know how to get past that.

525
To The Girl Who Is Always A Bro
Catie Berry

Dear Girl Who is Always a Bro,

I know what kind of person you are. You are a girl who likes to hang out with the guys and be one of the guys because for some reason, you just can't click with the girls. You don't like the drama or discussing the things they are interested in. You don't like how sometimes girls beat around the bush instead of just telling it to you straight.

I get it because I used to be you.

When you meet these guys, you start a conversation with them they thought they would never have with a girl. You talk football or any other sports. You talk about what they like in a girl, not in a personality sense. What are their preferences?

The boys are shaking their heads in disbelief and just don't get it at first, but you hang out more.

Being able to hang with the boys was always a lot of fun because of our stupid and crazy adventures. They are always in high spirits, but you become the mom of the group because you are the only one that is not as impulsive.

As the mom of the group, your job entails the following: vetting the new girlfriends to make sure their hearts won’t be broken; making sure they have manners and are being a gentlemen; doing their homework; being their ear; the person to take comfort in because they don't want to do it in front of the boys; letting them know when the girlfriends have cheated on them (twice) and being the girl who always came back to the friendship when they had to push you away for other reasons.

As time goes on, you realize that you only have a 1 to 13 ratio of girl to guy friends you have.

You become really close with these guys of yours, but one thing that doesn't change is that you are still the girl in the group. You have to leave at night when everyone sleeps over or sleep in a different room because the parents feel uncomfortable with a girl being there.

The boy's girlfriends gets jealous because you are hanging out with them even though it isn't at all what they think. A lot of other girls will think that you are just flirting with these guys, but that's not it either.

You are still a girl, which means you still want that girl talk. You have one best friend that understands you, but you want those to multiply. You don't know how to go about it because it's hard to relate.

I understand because I used to be you. My advice is just have patience, even though it's hard sometimes. We are a special breed that have to wait for the right kind of girls to fall in our lap--girls who are soul-mates and completely understand you. The opportunity will arise to allow you to broaden your girl-friend group, so take it, you won't regret it. It won't be easy, but you will catch on. As soon as you catch them, it will be hard to let go of them.

Some will leave you, but that means that they weren't meant to be there. They were there to teach a little lesson about life.

You will still have your guys and will make more guy friends. This is OK, but you have to learn not to bro all of them, especially the ones you really like. Be yourself, but do not talk to them like you do with the guys. Be a girl for a minute, it's okay.

Be more feminine; it will come with time. Wear a dress and make up in front of them. They won't care if you are a little girly, it's still you. I can't promise you that they won't be a little shocked sometimes.

No matter what, loyalty is everything for guys. They will always be there for you, even at your wedding when they become the bride's bros (instead of bridesmaids). It's okay to go to them with guy stuff, but remember your boundaries.

Keep your head up,

The Forever Girly Bro