16 Things Only Guy-Girl Best Friends Can Understand

Defying gender roles one friendship—and awkward experience—at a time
34174

It can get kind of weird sometimes, but at the end of the day, if it works out, they make amazing friends. Here's to the guys and girls out there who continue to defy the rules, and to my own guy best friend.

1. People probably think you're dating.

2. A main part of your conversations with other people about your best friend probably includes them asking you if you're dating.

3. At parties, you try to set each other up with your friends. Most random people require approval.

4. And you are each other's best wingman/wingwoman.

5. It's an unspoken rule that you are their date if they can't find or think of one on their own.

6. You construct text conversations on their behalf.

7. Half of your conversations have to do with calling each other out on their crap. You two have identified that you can do so because you aren't dating.

8. You probably know a little too much about their ... personal lives.

9. It isn't weird to cuddle, especially when life gets hard.

10. And you definitely pick out his outfits.

11. You find yourself having to weirdly talk about the attractiveness of your same-sex much more often.

12. You have seen each other through breakups and disappointments and as a result, you think the other is pretty wise.

13. A conversation has started and ended with, “Well, you're going to be in my wedding party …" because we just assume our future husband or wife will be down.

14. Sometimes, they say things and you want to hit them.

15. You have seen each other at your absolute best and worst.

16. They can drive you crazier than anyone else in the world, but at the end of the day, you know that they really only have your best interests in mind.