Talladega: Contender Round

Talladega: Contender Round

Exciting and true to NASCAR or Dull and Disappointing

10
Talladega: Contender Round
Erin McGarrity

Excitement, Heart-stopping, Bumping and Grinding, Drafting.

Talladega is usually all of these things. Fall 2016 was different. The drivers except for a few seemed uninterested in going for the win. They seemed content with a 25th or worse place finish. There is only 40 drivers in a race.

This Dega race was the finale of the Contender round of the Chase for the Championship. Only two drivers of the twelve that were left in the chase were safe and guaranteed a spot in the Eliminator Round because they won at Charlotte and Kansas. Those two drivers were Jimmie Johnson, driver of the Lowes 48 Chevy and Kevin "Happy" Harvick driver of the Jimmy Johns 4 Chevy. Even though they were safe they were driving for the win.

The rest of the Chase drivers which included a contender for Rookie of the Year, Chase Elliott, Penske Team-mates, Joey Logano and Brad Keselowski, Joe Gibbs Racing aka JGR team of Matt Kenseth,