11 Signs You're From Oklahoma

11 Signs You're From Oklahoma

Us Okies have gotta stick together.

358
11 Signs You're From Oklahoma
Google

There are tons of signs that you're from the South; every weekend involves outdoor adventures, you pray before every meal, and of course fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and mac and cheese are served every Sunday after church. Most people think all Southerners are the same old noodlin', tornado chasin', sweet tea drinkin' rednecks with Rebel flags in the backs of their muddin' trucks. However, if you're thinking of Oklahomans, we're a special kind of people. If you're worried you might be showing symptoms of this strange breed of human, here are some signs you might be from Oklahoma:

1. You know what this means:

The one finger wave is a common sight on the normal Oklahoma road. Whether you're driving through town or down a less-traveled backroad, you'll more than likely pass a vehicle that throws up the finger, but don't throw a hissy fit, they're simply saying, "Hello! Have a good day!" But if you're from Oklahoma, you already know this and probably use it yourself!

2. Tractor traffic jams are an every day struggle.

You always have to leave the house at least ten minutes early because getting stuck behind one of these guys is pretty much unavoidable, and most of the time, you can forget getting around them because there's more than likely a farm hand following closely behind them in the old Ford farm truck that runs just as slow, if not slower. As an Oklahoman, you know that you might as well crank up the radio and jam out because you're not getting to work on time.

3. Speaking of traffic jams, let's talk about I-35.

It's a Monday evening at around 5:30, you just got off work and all you want to do is go home, feed the cows, kick your shoes off, and spend time with your family. But you can't because you're stuck in 3 and a half miles worth of traffic on I-35. Between construction and trying to merge in with the hellish rush of cars and trucks, you're unlikely to find your gap and you're probably going to be sitting there for the next half hour just trying to actually get on the interstate. All Oklahomans know that the best time to drive on I-35 is never.

4. Oh yeah, and the construction...

I live in a small town in Oklahoma, you can't get out of this small town without going through some sort of construction. Whether it be bridge repair or patchwork, it's literally everywhere. Wouldn't you think with all this road construction, Oklahoma wouldn't be ranked number 6 in America's worst roads? Your assumption would be wrong, you can't drive a car down an oilfield road without having two blowouts and denting the rim on the driver's side. Trust me, it happens.

5. Enough about driving, let's talk about fishing, or as us Okies call it: Noodling.

Yes, that man has his entire arm in that fish's mouth. That's called "noodling", or as anyone not from Oklahoma would call it: "stupid". But for us Okies it's not only a sport, it's a lifestyle. If you're brave enough to stick your hand in an underwater hole and let what you hope is a fish bite you, you're a king in OK. I mentioned earlier letting what you hope is a fish bite you; well, let me introduce you to the other options you're likely to find in said underwater hole:

Alligator Snapping Turtle

Beaver

Water Mocassin

And so many other critters we Okies face to let record breaking cats chew on our extremities.

6. You have to have good weather to go noodling right? But Oklahoma's version of "good weather" is probably vastly different from yours.

Weatherman: At the beginning of next week, we should expect record highs at around 2000 degrees, but then as Saturday and Sunday roll around, make sure you grab your sweater and umbrella on the way out! We're expecting snow and rain those days. Enough said, right Oklahomans?

7. While we're on the subject of weather, I forgot to mention tornadoes.

Tornado sirens are tested weekly, even during the winter, because it's snowing and we're in the shelter. Just kidding, Oklahomans don't take shelter, we take pictures of ourselves with the tornadoes. We ain't scared.

8. I could write a whole article on the weather here, but let's talk about this:

This was every Oklahoma kid's favorite place to take a field trip. Whoever came up with the idea to make an interactive museum for kids was a genius. Between the mini grocery store and digging for dinosaur bones, it's fun for all ages, even if you're in your 20's writing articles about Oklahoma.

9. It's all fun and games at Christian Fun Day!

Even if you're not going for the free concerts; the rides, games, food, and western shows make the trip totally worth it. You can go as a group or on a date and you'll have a blast! Granted, you probably won't be able to pay for lunch for the next week, but you had fun nonetheless!

10. Hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm I love this bar...

It's my kind of place. It's every Oklahoman's kind of place. Toby Keith's is one of the best places to get good food and good music. Whether you're celebrating a special occasion or you're just wanting a good meal, this is your kind of place.

11. And last but certainly not least, BEDLAM FOOTBALL!

It's almost every Oklahoman's favorite day of the year. It's time for Bedlam! Whether you're rooting for the Sooners or the Cowboys, you're ready to watch some good ol' football and cheer on your team! When it comes down to it, we're all one big family and even in the biggest competition, there's still an incredible amount of support for each other. P.S. Boomer Sooner!

All Okies know exactly what each of these slides is referring to, we're more than just a state. We're a family and we we wouldn't trade our crazy, Oklahoma life for anything.