5 Of The Most Heartwarming Moments Of The 2016 Rio Summer Olympics

Thanks to the Rio Summer Olympic Games of 2016, we were one unified international community.

44
The New Yorker

Home of Christ the Redeemer, the beautiful Copacabana beach, Carnival and so much more Rio de Janeiro also became home to the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. The past two weeks have been full of excitement, amazing feats and some unforeseen scandals, and yet there was so much pride that radiated around the world. The games this summer became a perfect buffer for all of the tragic events that have been ongoing throughout the world in the past few months, and have given a real break to all of the trials and tribulations our world has faced. Although the Rio Olympics haven't solved any of the issues that have been occurring, this international unity is exactly what our society needed. Just a few weeks before the start of school, and posing a perfect finale to Summer 2016, the Rio Olympics have left a place in my heart.

The medal count of these Olympic Games has so far almost surpassed that of the 2012 London Olympics, this not only true for team USA, but also for the Olympics as a whole. Many records were broken both world wide and Olympic, and many shocking surprises occurred. Among the many honorable mentions, these events had to be my favorite of this years Olympics:

1. The International Olympics Committee declared a team to represent the world coming together.

This year 10 athletes competed together for the Team of Refugee Olympic Athletes representing the unification of world refugees. The athletes competed under the Olympic flag and were chosen from among 43 other potential athletes. All ten of these athletes have gone through such hardship in the past, and now were given the opportunity to compete in the Olympics. Their smiles in the opening ceremonies says it all.

2. A young fan, eight years after meeting his idol and inspiration, brings home a gold for his country.

Joseph Schooling, now Singapore’s 21-year-old champion, won first place against world record-holding and most decorated Olympian ever, Michael Phelps, in the 100-meter butterfly. After meeting Phelps at the 2008 Olympics, eight years and many determined swim practices later, Joseph Schooling, did himself proud. Talk about commitment and reaching your goals.

3. One country’s gem sports some killer dance moves after living up to his title the “Lightning Bolt."

Usain Bolt, now decorated as one of the fastest humans ever recorded, brought home the triple-triple for his country Jamaica at this year's Olympic Games. The triple-triple means that he won three gold medals in sprinting events in three consecutive Olympic games. No wonder he finished the games dancing.

4. A gymnast’s dream continues after his chances in this Olympics came to a halt.

No one can forget just a few days into the Olympics when France’s own gymnast Samir Aït-Saïd sprinted towards his victory at the vault, executed a double backflip, and then watched as his Olympic dreams were crushed. His landing caused him to shatter both his tibia and fibula in his left leg.

Although this became his tragic ending in the Olympic 2016 Games, he is already optimistic for the future, and, in an interview with l’Equipe, showed us the determination of an Olympic athlete, stating, “There are worse things in life. I’m in good health; that’s the main thing.” Mentioning that there are others going through worse hardships than he, he is grateful for the continued support from his friends and family and has left us with a promise to return in the 2020 Olympics, something I look forward to seeing.

5. Lastly, two female athletes who weren’t favored to win in the women’s 5,000-meter race, became the winners in spirit.

After tripping over one another about 3,000 meters into their distance race, Abbey D’Agostino from the U.S. and Nikki Hamblin from New Zealand had a hard fall. After getting up, D’Agostino stopped to help her fellow runner Hamblin up. The ladies continued, but the fall proved grave as soon, D’Agostino was in so much pain due to the injuries she sustained from the fall that she could barely stand. Hamblin now extended a helping hand the the runner that just helped her up and finished 16th place. D’Agostino limped to the finish line straight into the arms of Nikki Hamblin, someone whom she never even met up until the events of this Olympics. What a true representation of sportsmanship.

Lots of controversy surrounded the Rio Olympics as many deemed the country unfit for the games. Stadiums were not finished, the organization was skewed and many were not impressed with the opening ceremony. Among these issues also were talk of the Zika virus, the pollution quantity affecting the water in Rio, the country’s corrupt government and the lack of money put into the games. Even if these factors may or may not be true, just like other games in the past, the Rio Olympics proved to bring a unity to countries world wide, and that is something that we can cherish from these games.

Thank you to the Rio Summer Olympic Games of 2016, not only were we taught how to work together, reach for dreams and never give up, we got to do so as one unified international community.