For The Senior Stressing Over College Applications

We put so much weight in the college admissions process. From paying for tutors in an attempt to earn the best test scores to stretching yourself too thin with extracurriculars to boost your resumé, this entire process can consume students. A year ago, I was in the same boat – afraid for what the future held – but I made it out alive you will too.

21

Some people go to Ivy League universities and are completely unsuccessful. Some people go to a community college for two years and work up to their dream school for the last two years. Some people drop-out of college or don't even go to college and manage to become billionaires. While applying to colleges and ultimately committing by May 1st may seem like the most important decision of your life – it isn't.

Initially, I was going to title this, "I Applied To Twenty-four Colleges So You Don't Have To;" however, after seeing my friends who are now high school seniors start the process, I knew that an article about my decision to apply to a large number of schools did not teach me as much as expected. It did teach me something that more students need to understand – college applications and acceptances are not life-changing. Through the process, I was able to learn more about myself and personal preferences, yet realized how similar every college is. All schools have their amazing success stories and a multitude of reasons why you should attend. Every single school will send you a handful of letters urging you to apply – making you feel on top of the world when you receive a letter from your dream school and when you get a letter saying you are denied, you may feel miserable. If you are rejected, waitlisted, deferred or even accepted, a letter will not determine your future successes.

I spent my last two years of high school vying for an acceptance letter from my dream school. After a lot of hard work, I was accepted to the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. It seemed as though all that I had worked towards since the beginning of school paid off – all of my worries seemed to fly away, and at that exact moment, I was truly on top of the world. Surprisingly, instead of committing immediately, I did not even visit because I found something special – a university where I truly felt at home. To be able to say that I was accepted into the #1 public university in America is an accomplishment that I can not just push to the side, but an acceptance letter should not define who you are. I spent countless hours stressing over a singular application that is completely insignificant to me only one year later. However, as a senior in high school, it feels like everything.

In high school, everything is about making yourself look good for colleges. According to my past superintendent, a student must "enhance [their] transcript every day." While you should not slack off by any means, it does not hurt to stop for a second, take a breath and think about your life. What do you enjoy? What are your passions? How do you want to spend your time? Now after answering these questions, ask yourself the most important question – why? Why do you enjoy it? Why is it your passion? Why do you spend your time doing what you are doing? Getting into the hamster wheel of applications can take away from exploring your interests and true aspirations. Do not just do something because you think that is what a college is looking for. Do it for yourself, and the rest will fall into place.

I will be honest with the seniors who are reading this, my words are not able to ease away all of your stresses. The problem with the application process is that it is meant to be seen with utmost importance because college is seen in that same way. After you finish your job of completing applications, it is out of your hands, until you receive your decisions and will be forced to finally decide what college to attend. These next few months will be stressful at times filled with moments of happiness and misery, yet it is important to understand that regardless of what university you choose, life will go on. Whatever choice you make – even if you decide to transfer after your first semester – everything happens for a reason.

For the high school seniors who are currently struggling through the admissions process, in less than six months, you will have made a choice. This choice may make your future, but truth be told, the college you attend will not make your college experience – you are the only person who can decide how the next four years will go. As long as you approach things with an optimistic outlook, everything will work out in the end. Use the next few months to not only complete all your applications but also to embrace all that senior year has to offer. It will be overwhelming and difficult at times, but on May 1st when you are repping your decision, it will be all worth it.

No matter where you are in the application process, sometimes the most unexpected decision will be the best one. A year ago, I submitted my first of twenty-four applications – I did not know anything about the university but decided to anyway – and one year later, I am attending that university. I applied to twenty-four universities when in reality, I could have stopped after the first one. Who knows, maybe you will apply to your dream school, get accepted and decide to attend. Or maybe, you will be like me and realize that the first university you apply to is #1 in your heart. Just remember to take a deep breath, and live in the now because the future is what you make of the present moment.

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web