20 Slang Terms You'll Hear Wisconsinites Say In, And Out Of, Wisconsin

"Youse wanna grab a couple-two-three brewski's tonight?"

75675

Much like when anyone travels outside of their own region, if you ever visit Wisconsin, you might hear a few words or expressions that are not clear to you. But hey, no worries, here are the most common words we use in Wisconsin. I hope this list helps you keep up with our lingo and blend in with our unique culture.

1. "Couple-Two-Three"

n. "I drank a couple-two-three beers"

2. "Bubbler"

n. A word (cool) Wisconsinites use for "water fountain"

"I need to go refill my water bottle at the bubbler."

3. "Cripes"

This is a Wisconsin expression used mostly by grandparents in substitution for "sh!t" or "christ."

4. "Cripes Sake"

Same swear word as "cripes" just with a little pizazz

"For Cripes Sake"

5. "Ope"

A noise a Wisconsinite makes for honestly no reason at all.

*Bumps into someone* "Ope, Sorry"

6. "Un-thaw"

verb. To defrost or thaw

"I need to unthaw those steaks for dinner tonight."

7. "Up-North"

n. Not actually a place; is relative to everyone.

"I'm so excited to go up-north this weekend."

8. "Yooper"

n. Someone from northern Michigan

"Mike is a yooper he won't get it."

9. "Uff-Dah"

A Norwegian phrase (mainly used by grandmas) used to substitute "oops", "criminey", or "ugh."

"Uff-Dah! I'm so tired!"

10. "Brandy"

n. Distilled wine. Wisconsin consumes 90% of the Brandy produced in the U.S.

"Bartender, I'll take a Brandy Ole Fashioned please."

11. "You-Betcha"

expression. A cheery yet slightly awkward substitute for "You bet"

"Can you pass me the cheese platter?" "You-Betcha! Here ya go."

12. "Brewski" (Brew, Brew-Ha)

n. A bottle, can, or glass of Beer

"Pass me a Brewski"

13. "Vince, Bart, Brett, Aaron"

n. 4 iconic Green Bay icons that don't need last names.

"He may be good but not as good as Bart, trust me on that one."

14. FIB's

n. Fucking. Illinois. Bastard.

"That guy is driving like a FIB!"

15. "Start-with-me-last"

Expression used by a Wisconsinite that can't seem to make up their damn mind when ordering food.

"I'm not sure what I would like to eat yet, so start-with-me-last."

16. "Youse"

Pronoun, second person plural.

"What are youse guys doing tonight? Youse want to get some beer?"

17. "Where-Abouts"

Another relative location.

"Where-abouts you guys from?"

18. "Humdinger"

n. A beauty.

"Look at that humdinger of a car!"

19. "Stop-and-go-lights"

n. Substitute for "Stop Lights"

"Just turn left at the stop-and-go-light."

20. "Fleet Farm" (Farm & Fleet)

n. A store filled with all of the farming/gardening/outdoor supplies you need.

"I need a new Carhartt jacket, I gotta run down to Fleet Farm."