The College Admissions Scam Through The Eyes Of An Honest College Student
College

"Operation Varsity Blues" finally accused the people that have been cheating the system when it comes to college applications.

382

On March 13th, 2019, reports have been publically stated that there has been a college acceptance scandal that 50 people have been charged with. As an article from the New York Times stated, "This has been the biggest college admission scam ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice."

The scam involves elite college coaches, SAT and ACT proctors, business leaders, and even parents, who some, not to mention are big-time Hollywood elites. Like actress Lori Loughlin, who is best known as Aunt Becky on the sitcom "Full House" and her husband Mossimo Giannulli, paid almost $500,000 in order to have their daughters, Bella and Olivia, portrayed as athletes to be recruited for the University of Southern California rowing teams, neither of which had ever participated in the sport, however it ensured their acceptance to USC.

They aren't the only parents who have done this, some have paid up to $1.2 million dollars to portray their kids as these amazing well-rounded students who are not defined by wealth and fame. This has really shed a light on how truly competitive the college application process really can be now of days. The better the university's name is the more likely you will get a job after you graduate from that said university or college. This gives students who have truly worked really hard, less of a chance getting admitted because their application doesn't come with a big sum of cash.

We have also learned that parents have taken it as far as their students were able to have extra time on the SAT and ACT as well as have proctors help them out on the test, and even override wrong answers.

However, more times then not these students were not involved with the scandal or even had an idea with what was going on which is why no student has been added to these charges.

As a current college student that goes to a well-known state school. I was disheartened to receive a rejection letter from a school I really liked, but now knowing that I maybe wasn't accepted because of another student who paid their way in makes me utterly disgusted, that this has been going on. I have worked so hard for my spot, and to see how most of these students that have gotten into these elite schools, and only wanting to go to college for the experience and not even for the academics is even more frustrating.

All of the other students who worked to be where we are will be watching how this plays out, and we'll be hoping that justice will be served as it should be.