Dear High School Seniors, About The College Admissions Scandal

To The Honest High School Seniors, In The Wake Of The College Admissions Scandal

No achievement feels better than one you worked so hard for.

685

If you've been on social media lately, then you have definitely heard about the college admissions scandal. The situation involves several large names in Hollywood, most notably Lori Loughlin, and her daughters Bella and Olivia Giannulli. Her youngest daughter, Olivia Jade, makes videos on YouTube and has formed a large following, she is seen as a role model by her younger audience, as the videos she makes cover various topics such as makeup, skin care, vlogs, and most ironically tips for school. Olivia has been known to actively express her dislike towards school and expressed her general disinterest in the idea of going to college in general.

Due to her dismissive attitude, I was surprised when I heard that she was going to be attending as prestigious of a school as USC.

When the news broke earlier last week I was upset and disgusted, both with the actions of the perpetrators and with the actions of the admissions councils. As a college freshman, I know first hand just how stressful the entire college application process is. With the standardized testing, the college essays, the supplemental essays, AP testing, and just filling out the applications, the process is long, draining, and very very stressful. Your entire future seems like its resting in the hands of a complete and total stranger, which it is, but you're supposed to trust that your work will speak for itself, and in turn, trust that the admissions counselor who handles your application, will give you the same chance that every student receives. So, after hearing about this scandal I couldn't imagine the distrust that the seniors applying to colleges must feel.

* * *

Dear high school seniors,

It's come to the point of the school year where you have submitted probably all of your applications and possibly heard back from a couple that are early action or early decision. If you have and you've gotten into your top school, CONGRATULATIONS! but if you're still waiting to hear back (and trust me waiting is the worst part) then this admissions scandal probably did not help the stress of it all.

Although it probably does not directly affect you, it affects how you view college admissions as a whole.

It is understandable that there is a general distrust of college admissions counselors and I am here to tell you that once you've submitted your applications, the only thing that you can do is let your work speak for itself, let your accomplishments show what an asset you would be to that school, and let your application essay emulate parts of your personality that the other parts of the application cannot.

While you do not actually control the fate of your application, you certainly have a say in how you are portrayed on paper, so put your best foot forward, and remember that no achievement feels better, than the one you worked so hard for.

Sincerely,

A second-semester college freshman.