14 Tips For Incoming High School Seniors

Advice I used -or wish I did-during my senior year

847
pexels

Before my senior year in high school I looked up various bucket lists and read articles similar to this one to ensure my senior year was a good time. With all that advice I managed to compile a list of my own that won't guarantee the best senior year, but will definitely make it run more smoothly. I either implemented some of this advice on my own or wish I had. This is for the class of 2018. I wish you the best of luck and hope you make the most out of this school year, it's going to go by way faster than you think.

1. Take your classes seriously...

I know from experience that senioritis is a real and dangerous thing. I didn’t start off with a super bad case of it, but by second semester I was done. Just do the work, it's better than hating yourself in the near future for not getting the grade or score you wanted.

2. ...But not too seriously

Senior year isn’t all about academics. Try your best and get help in the challenging classes but make sure you save plenty of time to have fun.

3. Apply for colleges early on

It doesn’t matter if you know where you want to go or not, get your college apps in early, it will make your year ten times easier.

4. Ask for letters of recommendation as soon as possible

The school year gets busy fast and teachers tend to put a lot of thought into their letters of rec. They want you to get into the school of your choice as much as you do and love to help as much as they can- but dislike it when you give them less than a week in advance.

5. Apply for scholarships and financial aid too

You can wait until after you’re done applying to colleges but make sure you apply to as many as possible, especially school specific ones. Get FAFSA done as soon as the application opens.

6. Take risks

This is the last time you’ll get to with minimal consequences. I’m not saying to go rob a bank or anything, but maybe ditch a class (if even that idea is too much, just get it excused then technically it’s not ditching). Ask out your crush- if they say no it’s fine because you won’t have to see them again once high school is over. Just do something out of your comfort zone so you can realize it's not as hard to step out of as you thought.

7. Go to events you’ve never gone to

Go to a volleyball game, or a track meet, or some other under watched sport, you might actually find it really interesting. Maybe sit in on a club you’ve always found interesting. It doesn’t hurt to try something new every once in awhile.

8. Enjoy the senior perks

You won’t get them again. Go to all the senior events, even if you only stay for a little while. That last week of school, walk around like you own the place because you just made it through four years of high school, so basically, you do.

9. Choose a college

Make your decision on your own. Don’t let anyone or anything influence you. Tour the school. Do your research- and make it thorough. If it feels right and has the programs you want then go for it. Don’t be scared to leave your friends or family, we all have to grow up someday.

10. Thank your teachers

Every single one of them, especially the ones who took the time to write letters of recommendation for you. They’re just as excited for you and your future as you are.

11. Spend as much time as possible with your friends and family

During the school year and during the summer, after that everything will change.

12. Be Yourself

Don’t let anything hold you back, not now or for the rest of your life. After you graduate you won’t see 95% of these people again and once you start college you can create a whole new image for yourself, so go for it.

13. Don't rush it

Whether you're already 18 or turn 18 during the school year, this is still your last chance at being a kid. There's no reason for you to grow up so fast. I know you all think graduation couldn't come soon enough, but don't spend all your time waiting for that day. Instead...

14. HAVE FUN

This is it. Go out with a bang. You only regret the chances you didn’t take, so take as many as you can. Take this school year on with a smile and a little dance, it’s going to be the best one yet.