10 Life Hacks For College Students

10 Life Hacks For College Students

You're overloaded with work, why not make life just a little bit easier for yourself?

12
10 Life Hacks For College Students

College is hard. Most of us are struggling with finances, managing time, learning entirely new concepts, and taking care of our health, or even all three. Luckily, there are easy ways to cope with these stressors that are inexpensive and effective.

Chew gum when listening to lectures, and chew the same gum when reviewing notes or taking a test.

Marlene Bauer

Your brain recalls information better when you are in the same environment, so by chewing gum you put yourself back in the environment that you first learned the concept in.

Make eggs in the microwave for a quick, easy, and nutritious meal.

Spray a mug with a bit of cooking spray, mix up an egg, then microwave at 45-second intervals until it's cooked the way you like it.

Tape a dryer sheet over your air conditioning vent for a cheap way to keep a dorm room smelling fresh.

Dorm rooms are small spaces shared by you and at least one other person. There will be dirty laundry, trash, and "who-knows-what-else" smells. It is going to get gross if you don't find a solution.

Wallflowers or Scentsy warmers aren't always permitted or the most affordable thing in college. Dryer sheets are an effective way to make your room smell nice on a budget.

You could also stick a couple of sheets in your tennis shoes/closet to avoid unpleasant odors from existing in the first place.

Take advantage of student discounts.

There are so many places that offer student discounts, so don't be afraid to ask! Most campuses have a coupon book available for free (or a low price) and it's a great investment if you're going to those places anyway, but the worst thing you can do is to go out of your way to use the coupons.

I also recommend checking out apps like Unidays, which is a free app that just requires your student email and will provide you with countless discounts, entries into giveaways, freebies, and general college tips.

Teach someone else material you just learned.

Jose Aljovin

If you can teach someone else something, then you know you really understand it. Also, take advantage of discussion times in class, because by discussing concepts you can answer questions you didn't know you had.

Often when I teach something to a classmate or discuss in class I find it easier to work out a solution to my question out loud than to keep it to myself.

Operate around deadlines you give yourself.

NeonBrand

Set specific time frames to get something done. For example, tell yourself, "I will spend the next 15 minutes cleaning my room." This is effective for two reasons.

Number one, you challenge yourself to get something done instead of allowing yourself to push it off. Number two, even if you don't finish the task, you have at least started it, so you're likely to continue it.

Most of the challenge in procrastinating comes from not even starting in the first place, and it's better to do something than nothing.

Naps, when done correctly, are the most effective way to refresh your day.

Zohre Nemati

Studies show that a 20-minute nap allows the body to relax enough to regain energy, but not drift into a deeper sleep, which is harder to come out of. Napping too long or at the wrong time can also upset your sleeping schedule, so be wise about when and how long you nap for.

Refer to this nap calculator to find the best time to nap for you.

Buy your textbooks and other required materials after the first week of class.

You will most likely not have any assignments on the material you have to buy in your first week, so don't panic about putting it off. I recommend doing this because if you talk to your professor first about if the textbook, clicker, or other materials are optional/if there's a cheaper alternative, they will try to work with you. You can also talk to upperclassmen who have taken that class with that professor if all of the materials on the syllabus are necessary or if you could buy their books. You can even share books with friends. I could've saved over a hundred dollars this semester if I had planned a little bit better.

In order to get essays done faster, use the voice text option.

Only do this if you have time to edit, and make sure you only do a paragraph at a time. This can save you some time when it comes to typing, but I'd recommend having a pretty detailed outline/rough draft that you can read off of.

This works well for people who prefer to physically write their papers, but are required to turn in a typed document.

Have 15 minutes of "me time" everyday.

Joao Silas

You need to allow time for yourself.

You should spend at least 15 minutes every day doing absolutely anything you like. Catch up on a show, mentally organize your to-do list, meditate, or even stare at the wall. It doesn't matter what you do, because it's your time you take a break and refresh yourself.