Sometimes Choosing Yourself Will Reveal What People Really Think About You
Politics

Choosing Yourself Will Reveal What People Really Think About You

It's easier to move on and rise knowing that my talents weren't appreciated where I was.

181
Mari Williams

I'm a very timid person when it comes to manipulation. I easily fall into someone's charm when they act as they care about me. I ignore all the emotional abuse, manipulation, and I end up losing myself in the process.

I have spent most of my life letting people run all over me: my mother, leaders of the cult, past boyfriends, and authority figures in my life. I thought I was past all of that until I got to college. I ended up in a situation where I let people run my life, once again, and I spent two years under control and not saying anything.

If I was needed, I dropped everything. When I wanted to go home and see my family, I was told no and that I was needed. I never felt appreciated, and constantly told what a terrible job I was doing. Covering the manipulation was the sense that I was cared for. That this person truly cared for my future and well-being, so of course I fell into it. I can't begin to explain how hurt I was when I finally stood up for myself, thinking that I'd get approval, good wishes, or gratitude for all the work I've done.

However, I did not get any of that. I was tossed out the door like I didn't mean anything. I put in my two weeks because I was offered an opportunity to move up. I wasn't abandoning anything. I learned everything I needed to learn and if I want to succeed, there will obviously come a time to leave the place I started.

It's been almost two weeks and I'm not hurt or sad. I want my two years back. I'm glad that she revealed herself to be a terrible person instead of giving me the goodbye I wanted. It's easier to move on and rise knowing that my talents weren't appreciated where I was.

I'm grateful for the work I did, not who I worked for. I'm so glad that I was able to gain that experience and I know that there are companies that do want my talents and will appreciate what I'm doing.