12 Practical Life Skills I Gained From FFA

All are very, very useful.
338

Being an FFA member was hands down one of my favorite things I did from high school into the start of my college career. Now as someone who at least attempts to be a professional, successfully functioning adult, I can see all of the things that I gained from my time in the blue jacket, some of these being skills I use very frequently. Here are just some of the very practical life skills I gained from FFA that still help me as an adult.

1. How to (hopefully) not trip on a stage

"One foot in front of the other, lift those feet up, make yourself look good, you've got this." At least you tell yourself that, unless your Sydney Snider, then technically you trip BEFORE the stage at least.

2. How to get dressed in a vehicle

And look dang good when you're done too. Look out world, here comes the blue jacket!

3. How to match shades of black

Because nothing is just black and you really hope your pants/skirt match your shoes, socks and pantyhose. Now there's off-black, jet black, true black, raven black, dark black...

4. How to tie a(n almost) perfect tie

Everyone in the chapter tried to learn and had their designated tie tying professional for any official dress occasion.

5. How to get multiple people in and out of a restaurant fast

"Y'all, we've got fifteen minutes for EVERYONE to order and be back on the bus. We will NOT be late."

6. How to remove/hide stains on a white shirt

May or not be tied closely to the point above but it's fine. Anyone got a Tide stick? No, okay move your tie a little to the left.

7. How to stockpile on pantyhose and black socks

Because they always either went missing or got a hole in them, which also then taught you...

8. All the tips and tricks to make pantyhose last

Spray them with hairspray right after you put your skirt on, it helps avoid runs. But if they happen, clear nail polish near the ends of it can prevent total disaster.

9. How to function on next to no sleep

10. How to pack for a trip (maybe last minute idk)

Yes, I've known we left for camp tomorrow the last two months but it's fine okay relax I'll pack in the morning.

11. How to (attempt to) read directions

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to take the next exit to the right! Oh, crud, we're going South...we need to go North...it's fine, scenic route!

12. How to navigate crowds quickly

Okay, we're supposed to be lined up on the other side of the convention center in...five minutes. Cool, let's go!

13. How to make the best out of every moment

The saddest part of being an FFA member is knowing your time doesn't last forever. So that's why you try out for that officer team, go for that contest, stay up just a little bit later laughing with your friends. And the memories made and the lessons learned along the way make every moment so worth it.