Should Professional Players Really Be Paid This Much?

Are All-Star players really worth the millions of dollars worth of deals they are receiving?

88
Keyword

In recent years, there has been a large increase in player salaries across the NBA, MLB, NFL, and NHL. The thing is, players are not contributing any more than they were in the past. So why are players like LeBron James, Clayton Kershaw, and Andrew Luck receiving millions more than they deserve? To be honest, I really do not know. I think that team owners are so desperate to keep fans and the revenue these fans produce. Because of this, they are willing to meet players' demands, even if it costs owners millions more than they anticipated. I really do not understand how teams can generate such large amounts of income in order to pay these players over $30 million a year over a two or three year period. Even though I, a 17-year-old girl, cannot comprehend how this money is produced, it is impossible to deny that it is because it seems like teams are handing out $100 million deals left and right.

If you are a baseball fan, it is hard to have not heard of the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw. The man is truly one of a kind, except when it comes to the playoffs-- but that's for another article. Look, it is obvious that Kershaw is an amazing pitcher, but is he worth the $32.8 million a year that the Dodgers are paying him? I personally do not think so (sorry Dodgers fans). To be honest, I don't think any single athlete or person should be receiving this much money on an annual basis. It is just hard to fathom how these athletes go bankrupt with all of the money they made during their careers. Aside from this, I think owners of major sports teams should re-evaluate the contracts that they are providing their players because athletes like Kershaw should not be receiving $32.8 million for pitching between 30-35 games a year.

In addition to Clayton Kershaw, you have to look at NBA superstar LeBron James. LeBron is the best all-around player in the game right now, regardless of what Steph Curry fans say. James, just yesterday, announced his contract with the Cavs, saying that he is signing a three-year $100 million deal. This is absurd! Who needs $33 million a year? Definitely not LeBron. The man has made hundreds of millions of dollars in his career through basketball and other endorsement deals. In addition to paying LeBron all of this money, the Cavaliers have to pay the NBA over $54 million due to the luxury tax because they pay their players too much. How can they afford this? I think the Cavs really should assess the deals that they have made with incredible players, such as Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, to reduce the amount they are required to pay to both the NBA and their players.

I know players would really dislike having teams paying them less, but it is necessary. These players are getting paid for not playing their sport for four or more months of the year. I really think these individuals are being overpaid and should have to donate a certain amount of their money to charity or pay for certain events in the city that they play for. Obviously players would oppose these ideas, as seen through the weeks and weeks of contract negotiations throughout the different professional leagues. I know it is unlikely that the organizations will address this issue, but it should be done without a doubt.