A Response To The Woman Wearing The Vagina Hat
Politics

Because protesting for women's rights is now an embarrassment.

2507
Sofrep

Following the 2017 Women's March that took place on Saturday, January 21, a post commenting on a woman wearing a vagina costume on her head circulated on Twitter, Facebook and other social medias. The post, seen below, compares the current state of women's rights in the United States to that of other countries, ultimately leading to the conclusion that women in America protesting for their rights should be embarrassed, because there are women who are worse off.

Basically, the epitome of "Finish all your food because there are starving children in other countries."

Assuming that the woman has access to international and domestic news, she is most likely aware of the state of women's rights in not only her own country, but other countries too. Particularly those in which women are taught not to speak unless spoken to, where they aren't allowed to assume positions of higher power and where they are undeniably treated as less of a human than a man is. That last aspect especially is what the woman dressed as female genitalia is advocating for; Yes, even in America women are unequal to men.

Granted, our rights may be far more encompassing than those of some developing countries, but that doesn't mean our work is done.

Women are still paid 20 percent less of what men are paid and that gap is even larger when it comes to the salaries for women of color.

Women only hold roughly 20 percent of office positions in politics including positions in the U.S. Senate, House of Representatives and State Senate seats.

Women, not just in the United States, are still having decisions regarding their bodies and reproductive health decided for them by rich, white men from, you guessed, the United States.

By not marching, not protesting and even by not wearing vagina hats, wouldn't we actually be doing an injustice to the women who would give anything to advocate for what they believe in but can't because they live in a society that shapes them to feel powerless and unsafe when speaking their mind? Why shouldn't we all feel compelled to protest against a country that is supposed to be "the land of the free" but is marked by a majority of one race and gender making decisions that may not even apply to them directly?

And if the main reason you're getting your panties in a wad is the word "protest," I hate to break it to you, but this country has evolved and developed from endless amounts of protesting.

The Boston Tea Party, March on Washington, women's suffrage movements, anti-Vietnam War protests, Occupy Wall Street—need I go on? Protesting is a way to make your voice heard for there is strength in numbers.

So whether someone takes to the streets wearing a rainbow sweater, a green dress or a vagina hat is beside the point. Standing up for what you believe is just and deserving is not something to be embarrassed or ashamed about, regardless of what you're wearing.

As much as you may want to continue living in your bubble and not believe it, the United States, and frankly the entire world, is very much a man's world, and it shouldn't be. It should be a man and woman's world.

The United States may not be considered a developing country, but we do have some concepts that need revamping. With all of the power we hold as a nation, we should use it to change the way women are viewed everywhere.

So break out your vagina hats and stand up for what's right.