Respect The Resume, But Promote Passion

Respect The Resume, But Promote Passion

Balancing your professional achievements with personal ones can be extremely hard, but it is essential to understand that your valuable time should be spent doing things you care about!

95
Respect The Resume, But Promote Passion

The strange part about being a college student is that you are encouraged to explore your passions while simultaneously encouraged to create the most prestigious resume. To some degree, I think it is totally feasible. To another degree, I think it can be unrealistic and forces people to participate in activities with the sole purpose of enhancing their resume-- this is the part I have a sincere problem with. I think it is incredibly important to immerse yourself in activities that you are actually passionate about. When you look back upon your experiences, you should be proud of the memories you have created and should spend your time doing things that actually bring you a sense of joy, rather than focusing on projecting a successful image to those around you.

I get it, I really do. We all want to land our dream internship and work for the company that will showcase the idea that we are ~thriving~ during our undergraduate years. It is a true struggle to balance the professional achievements with the extracurricular activities provided through your university. To some extent, I have pondered if my lack of job experience will hinder my abilities to become the prime candidate in the future. Then I remember how much work and effort that I put into my extracurricular organizations and initiatives that I remember how it is perfectly acceptable to exert my energy into those activities. Not only does it show dedication and passion for things I genuinely want to make a difference with, but I am enhancing my own leadership skills and growing other aspects of my individual persona which will be extremely marketable to future employers.

To be completely transparent, I think it is only fair to dissect the change in how I used to spend my time versus how I spend it now; I was a highly involved individual during my high school years, usually establishing some sort of leadership role within whichever organizations I was in. Although my ambitions and my desire to be an effective leader have not changed, I try not to spread myself too thin. I like to believe that even at a school as large as Ohio State, I am contributing to creating a better community environment on campus so that students can have the best experience as possible. However, what I have learned is that it is the quality that matters, not the quantity. Instead of joining 10 organizations I find interesting, I have chosen to focus in on a select few that I find to be extremely meaningful and that align with my values.

So this is why I have stopped prioritizing that perfect resume. I want to be a well-rounded individual and spend my time being a part of organizations that make me feel like I am contributing to something that is so much larger than myself. I like to remind people that your resume is by no means a reflection of the individual you are and all that you can contribute to the world.