Ranting By A College Sophomore
Student Perspective

Ranting By A College Sophomore

Ranting is something I do exceptionally well - along with complaining and venting.

17
Ranting By A College Sophomore

Ranting is something I do exceptionally well - along with complaining and venting. These past few months have felt...different to say the least - mostly because I'm not sure how to explain it. So, settle in and buckle up because you're about to get an earful - or screenful if you will.

This past August I started my sophomore year of college as a Creative Writing major at a beautiful liberal arts school that has made me feel so at home even though I'm a commuter. What also happened this past summer is me getting my first job. I know, I know, you're thinking, "Your first job and you're in college?"

Yep! I guess you could say I'm a late bloomer in that respect, but I'm not someone who is very fond of change. For example, when I was little I had this pink and red beaded, heart ornament that hung on a drawer knob in my room that took me forever to get rid of because it made me physically uncomfortable to remove it. I've gotten a lot better though, now it's just the bigger things in life that give me anxiety.

Anyway! This is the first semester that I have to juggle work and school, and it's been quite the adjustment. With being a writing major, there's - obviously - lots of papers due. Which is all well and good when it's creative pieces like fiction or telling my own stories, but then there's the academic papers that seem to outweigh the ones I truly want to be writing about.

By the end of the week when everything is done, there's more to do for next week, it's a never-ending cycle of analytical writing that makes me not want to write anything at all. Especially another article for The Odyssey Online.

I've run dry with ideas and the desire to write anything for this platform, but I don't want to quit doing this because I know it can only make me better with what I want to do with my life. To try to keep my drive to do this alive, I even reduced my submissions so I can hopefully come up with better ideas that will make me want to keep writing.

This "article" - if you can call it that - is going in so many different directions that I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore. Oh right, juggling school and work.

I love them both so much! I'm honestly surprised at how much I enjoy my job. I get to make coffee and espresso drinks for different people, and it's so satisfying to pull a shot of espresso from the machine and steam milk mixed with a variety of flavor combinations.

I get overwhelmed sometimes when it's busy, but I always have someone there that can help me and remind me what I'm doing. Much like with school.

The writing department at Susquehanna is so supportive and welcoming that it makes me so happy to know that I'm a part of it. Everyday I get to go to one of my writing classes, I know I'm gonna have the best time listening to what everyone has to say. For midterms, I actually didn't have my fiction class for a week and a half and I honestly missed it.

Lately, I haven't been stressed, but I've just been feeling a little weird. Who knows, maybe I'm so stressed that I've just accepted it and now I'm just strangely in this state of calmness. I don't know.

Or maybe I'm exhausted from waking up, going to work or doing homework before school, then going to school, then doing more homework. That's probably it. I haven't had a day just for myself in a while.

One where I don't have to go anywhere, one where I don't have any homework to do over break, and one where I can just stay in bed and watch Netflix or Hulu all day. That'll be the first thing I do when Winter Break starts.

Anyway, this is definitely my first article of this type. Maybe if I don't have an idea from now on, I'll just vent. I do feel a bit better, but not fully, but the semester is almost over and then Christmas will be here before we know it.

Now I'm just rambling because I have no clue how to finish this off. I guess I'll just leave it as this: until next month.