College Is Not, Ok, Maybe A Little, Like A Different World

College Is Not - OK, Maybe A Little - Like 'A Different World'

Welcome to my college experience as told through "A Different World" pictures.

61

"A Different World" was a TV show I binged watched on Netflix three times over the course of summer 2016. "A Different World" was a hit 90s show that originally centered around Denise Huxtable (Lisa Bonet) as she headed off to college. Although Hillman College is an HBCU (Historically Black College/University) and I attend a PWI (Predominately White Institution), I still had great expectations for what my college experience was going to be like. I initially thought that the show was not like my college experience at all, but once I actually started to think about it, it does reflect in its weird way.

Friendships 

For starters, the relationships that I have created with people seem more genuine than in high school. It feels like I can be friends with these people for a lifetime and I never felt like that before.

Oh, romantic relationships, they are there. I love love.

Well...

Self-explanatory here.

Caring Professors 

I have had some pretty inspiring professors at the University I attend. Especially the ones who care about my success not only as a student but as a student of color. They keep me going.

Study buddies! 

I am not the type to study in groups BUT studying with other people in the library, dining halls, and the student center has been my favorite past time.

Phone calls

Calling my godmother about everything. That was me.

Broke and boogie 

The university has high key taught me how to be boogie. I'm balling on a budget but buying fancy stuff anyway.

"What's your sign?" 

I have never met so many people who love horoscopes and signs until I came to college but...

And lastly, 

My experience so far has been filled with different perspectives, different ideas, and different people.

It has been a different world for me.

But I'm enjoying every bit of it.