The Pros To Long Distance Relationships In College

There are far more than I ever thought possible.

168

Being in a long distance relationship as well as a relationship with a guy on campus, I can confidently say I have experience and know some of the pros to these taboo like relationships.

So many people are afraid to date someone from home or another school because of the distance. In fact, I was too, I broke up with the boyfriend I can to college with only weeks into the semester because it was just too much for me.

However, after another relationship and now a new long-distance one, I am fully prepared and at ease with my decision to pursue this relationship.

College is the time when you figure out who you are, where you're going in life and what kinds of goals you have, or so they say. Being in a relationship that is not constantly near you becomes very beneficial for your self-growth.

You are able to grow and learn as well as have a relationship. I am not saying people who date others on campus aren't growing and learning about themselves, it's just a different way. This also allows you to focus your time.

When you're with your partner it's all about them because that's probably the first time you've seen them in a few weeks if not longer. And when you're with your friends there's no boy drama about you ditching them for your partner.

The more road trips the better in my opinion. I love driving and don't mind having to drive to see my partner. The less time spent together makes that time even more special and full of meaningful conversation. And with all the breaks built into the school calendar as it is, there aren't too many times where you'll go too long without seeing each other.

Being in a long distance relationship is everything you make of it. You have to keep lines of communication open to keep everything running smoothly hundreds of miles away. And some days it may seem too hard but you have to remind yourself how great the person on the other end of the phone is, and suddenly it's all worth it again.