online dating vs real life

5 Reasons Why Online Dating Is Better Than Meeting At The Club Or At A Coffee Shop

Are you nearing age 40 and looking for something serious, ASAP, before all of your eggs die? Put it in the bio.

200

Pretty soon, there'll be a whole generation of people whose parents met online. The thought horrifies some, who cling to the nostalgic days of cruising the town looking for dates, who extol the glory of "meet-cutes," and desperately want to be able to tell their grandkids that they met their grandfather while running to catch the bus (which, honestly, for us RU students isn't so implausible).

For others, however, they embrace the ease, simplicity, and comfort of online dating — especially those that are much too shy to actually approach someone in person. Here are some reasons why online dating beats traditional methods.

1. There's a lot of fish in the sea... probably too many

He reeled in a big one

Going to the club to find an FWB (or soul mate, whichever fits your needs at the time) is all well and good, but you're likely only to be exposed to about 75-200 people at once. On the other hand, a simple click of your finger affords you access to hundreds of thousands men, women, and others instantly. Instead of desperately hoping that you'll stumble upon a burly, bearded barista with six tattoos somewhere in the world, you can just scroll until you find him.

2. It saves you from a lot of awkward situations

Poor thing doesn't know how "black guy hugs" work :/

Remember when The Bachelorette finally had their first Black woman as the star of the show, all for them to find out that one of her suitors was a racist? Yeah, that was probably pretty awkward. But now, with the help of technology, you'll never have to worry about getting got when a lot of people's personal info is online (not to mention that many dating sites allow you to narrow down the type of people you are exposed to). Imagine being a PETA activist and after meeting someone at a coffee shop, you realize they sell furs for a living.... Yeah, yikes. That all could've been avoided if you just would've read their bio.

3. You can express what you want honestly

I'm not sure about her, but I'll take Ryan Gosling with a side of rice and steamed broccoli

You're less likely to look like a douche when you put "only looking for hookups" as your headline on a dating site, rather than waiting to break the news to your lass or lad after the first date. Are you nearing age 40 and looking for something serious, ASAP, before all of your eggs die? Put it in the bio. Are you a traveling trapeze artist and looking for someone who can do a long-distance relationship? Put it in the bio. Trust me, the online world is a lot more open and free from judgment than the real world. If a girl can post a viral video of her eating her tampon (I haven't forgotten about you, Giovanna), you shouldn't be scared to admit that you're hell-bent on getting engaged within the year.

4. You don't have to be outgoing

Coming up with a great pickup line is irrelevant if you don't put it to use. For some of us, the thought of approaching the cute person in front of us in line is a lot more daunting than sending them a virtual gift or "sliding in their DMs." Online dating is a great alternative for those who suffer from social anxiety, low self-esteem, or just genuine dislike for using their mouths.

5. There's no pressure

Big mood...

Nickelodeon

At the end of the day, online dating always stays online unless you choose otherwise. Don't think someone is attractive or interesting? Don't answer their message. Think someone's creepy? Block them. Unlike in the real world, where you'll have to come up with a nice, yet plausible, reason for rejecting someone who approaches you, you can literally just delete someone on the world wide web. It's a great thing, really.

Of course, with online dating comes quite a few cons as well, like the possibility of getting catfished (because it is way too easy nowadays to steal other people's photos), or the gross lack of privacy that comes with an online profile. Online dating is much more convenient, but traditional dating has its own unique value. There's really nothing more special than locking eyes with someone across the room and just knowing that they're the one for you.

Ah, if only that happened more often.