10 Ways To Make Today Different

10 Ways To Make Today Different

You have the opportunity to make these next 24 the best, so do it.

426
10 Ways To Make Today Different
Her Campus

A new president has taken office. Which means new changes will be coming. Out with the old, in with the new, isn't that the saying? It doesn't matter who is bringing what to your life or not, it's based off of your reactions. Your decisions. Your emotions. You choose how it'll effect you.

Today will be a new day. It'll be different than yesterday and tomorrow. Today will be a new chance.

1. Never let anyone tell you how to feel.

Don't let people put words in your mouth. If you're offended, let them know. If you're actually okay with whatever happened, don't pretend to be upset just for others. It's obviously based on every situation, because announcing you're happy so-and-so cheated on your friend is the smartest decision of your life, but that's your choice. So everyone who has major RBF like me, tell others to back off. You don't need to be wearing a smile 24/7 especially if you end up looking like Wednesday Addams.

2. Start the day off for you.

Try to give yourself enough time to be in your thoughts and mentally prepare for the day. It could be as simple as drinking coffee and spacing out while looking out the window. Doing yoga. Writing down your dreams and goals of the day. Or just simply having enough time to do makeup and hair. Just do something that'll help you start the day off right.

3. Live in the moment.

What happened yesterday is now in the past. Sometimes the best thing is to let it go. Either you learn or wallow in it. But don't let your past define how you live your present. Try to let things go. Take a few moments to digest and then push forward.

4. Ask for help.

If you're not happy or you're confused about how things should be going, or you were expecting something else, go and talk to your boss, your significant other, your family, your friends or whoever is there in the problem and sort out the issues. Don't live unsatisfied or confused. Asking for help is not a weakness, it's a strength. Once you get that problem cleared up or even more understanding you'll be able to be happier, even if it isn't an outcome you'd hope for.

5. Learn to love yourself.

Remember when YOLO used to be a thing? It was a stupid acronym but it wasn't wrong. Every day you get a little older. Every day things are changing. Don't get caught up in self-hate. You don't even need to spend money on yourself. Just take a moment to do something for yourself. Want to binge your favorite show after a horrible day at work? Go for it! Say no to going out if you don't want to. Get dressed up and confidently walk into a room. Do something that'll make you happy.

6. Don't stay silent.

If you believe in a cause, fight for it. On the 21st of January, women around the country came together to show the new government that "women's rights are human rights." It doesn't have to be something big, it can be as simple as expressing your ideas in a work meeting or even where to go eat. Don't be silent. Don't just let something keep happening. Step in and make a difference.

7. Find your happiness.

Cut out the negativity in your life. Don't watch a TV show just because your S.O. said to. If you don't like it, don't waste your time. I stopped watching "Marvel's Agents of Shield" because I honestly didn't like it. Can't get into the book? Stick with it until page 50, that's about the point of the story where action starts happening. Here's the tough one: cut out people in your life that aren't supporting you. It's hard to get rid of friendship that meant so much at one point but you both change. They're either toxic to your life or you're both are super toxic to each other. (Or they can just be overall toxic to everyone.) You don't want to be emotionally and mentally drained after you hang out someone, only exhausted from having so much fun.

8. Stop trying to please others.

You don't need confirmation from other people to live an awesome life! The more you worry about how other people see you, the more you become obsessed with the environment instead of how you should be feeling and living right in the moment. Dress how you want to dress. Laugh out loud. Sing loud for everyone to hear. Never stop smiling (or the equivalent to expressing your happiness). Don't let anyone bring you down, but the same rule applies to you. If you don't want people to ruin your happiness, don't ruin theirs. RESPECT each other.

9. Complaining vs. Venting.

Venting is to get things off of your chest, so they don't become bottled up. Complaining is to talk about things over and over just have your voice heard and nothing ever becomes fixed. Venting is good to release frustrations that have built up during the day, just don't let it cross over into complaining. If you don't like how things happened, either fix it or let it go. Be conscious about which you are doing. Good indicator if you're complaining is when people are rolling their eyes at you or have stopped listening.

10. Dance.

When in doubt: dance it out.