A Letter To My Childhood Best Friend On Her Wedding Day

Cheers to you.

10408
Danielle Rizzicone

Hello Love,

Well, the day has finally come, the day you’ve been dreaming of since we were 9 years old. The dress, the ring, the man, it’s all coming together and I couldn’t be happier for you. I remember sitting in my obnoxiously bright pink, yellow, and orange bedroom dreaming about our future, our dreams, our goals, wishing life would move quickly. We dreamt of moving to New York City, living in an apartment together and growing up to be these kick ass women we always knew we could be. It’s funny when you’re young, you don’t realize how much life there truly is to live until you’re 22, meeting up for drinks after working eight-hour shifts at a desk job. You don’t realize that all your hopes and dreams can actually come true, (like both living in New York City and both being kick ass) although there were a few bumps in the road. I still remember the summer we met. I was in need of a new friend and you had just moved to the neighborhood. We instantly clicked, becoming inseparable. Every birthday, holiday, vacation was spent together. As we grew up we started to develop into our mature selves. We went through heart breaks, loss of loved ones, disorders, and much more. I can honestly say I couldn’t have survived middle school without you. As the years passed you became more involved with your religion whereas I dove into sports, although our interests were becoming quite different, our relationship stayed strong.

It wasn’t until tenth grade when you broke the news to me that you were changing schools. I don’t think I ever told you but I was terrified; terrified of starting a new school alone, terrified of not having you there to vent to after every period and terrified our friendship was coming to an end. Being a tenth grader in high school there usually isn’t much you’re terrified of but at this time what I was so scared of did in fact come true. The text messages started to become less and less and we both started to go our separate ways. You made new friends and so did I, but it was always nice knowing you were right down the street. The years flew by and we wouldn’t speak for months, and as time rapidly increased our friendship started to fade. Although I don’t think I ever admitted it then, losing you was hard, unbearable for words at times, you missed my first heart break from my first real love, you missed my grandpa’s dying the same year, and you missed me losing my virginity. All of these things may sound silly to some but anyone who has lost a best friend at such an important time in their lives knows how hard it is to do it alone. But, life has already given me curve balls and somehow you and I found our way back to each other in New York City, the place we always dreamed of taking on together. Our friendship started back up slow, with a few texts checking in, coffee here or there, but then we started to become our old selves.

Reliving past memories, laughing over middle school crushes and clothing and kicking ourselves for letting our friendship fall through the cracks. And now, we're here, on your wedding day. I knew this day would eventually come and I always prayed I’d be here. You have wanted this your whole life and although I’ve always laughed and told you, you were too young to make such a commitment you were always so persistent with putting me in my place and telling me this is what you want. SO, today is about you, it’s about how beautiful you’re going to look in that perfect dress you picked, how wonderful the venue will be because you always had the best taste in places, it’s going to be about the wonderful and bright future you and your love will have, and it’s about love. It is hard to express in words the joy that I feel for you on this day in particular, being a bit of an emotionless person I am overwhelmed with love for you on this day as well as every day. So cheers to you, cheers to your future, and cheers to us, I am so happy to be able to spend this special day with you.

Sincerely yours,

Your forever friend