Time to Watch Some MAJOR Television

Time to Watch Some MAJOR Television

What TV show you should watch next based on your major?

31
Time to Watch Some MAJOR Television
Huffington Post

Inspired by fellow Odyssey writers Paige Carpenter and Madison Fraitag, I decided to give my own take on what television series you should watch, as told by your college major. You may have heard of these before but never gave them a chance, or you're already a die-hard fan. They may feel all too real, or give you that much needed boost of confidence that all of your hard work (and student debts) will pay off in the end. Whatever the case, you always deserve a break and these shows are all great. So, kick back and enjoy watching your future career being acted out in the big screen.

Math/Statistics: "Cyberchase" (PBS Kids, Qubo)

It's an oldie but a goodie. Reminisce on the times math was as simple as 2 x 2. And the times that a talking parrot voiced by Gilbert Gottfried could teach you a mathematical concept within a 20-minute long episode.

Art History- "Hannibal" (NBC, Amazon Prime)

Now, bear with me on this one. Hannibal may be a cannibal, but he sure does know his art. Not only does the show pay homage by alluding to artists directly, but the show is as invested in its set and cinematography as much as its complex episodic plot. Every room in Hannibal's home, every object, is strategically built and placed to convey some facet of his personality, as disturbing as it may be. Each murder takes the human corpse and moves to the plane of the aesthetically pleasing. You won't want to look away, oddly enough. But if crime shows with a side of eating your friends isn't your thing, you should check out Bryan Fuller's other hit TV show "Pushing Daisies."

Business- "The Office" (NBC, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu)

They're supposedly being filmed for a documentary on the modern American workplace over the span of almost ten years. this show has it all, from crazy bosses, office romances, showdowns between salesmen and accounting to a crime-fighting vigilante and beet farmer turned "Assistant to the Regional Manager." At least this will tell you exactly how not to run a business.

Chemistry- "Breaking Bad" (AMC, Netflix, Amazon Prime, iTunes)

Do I really need to explain this one?

Computer Science-"Mr. Robot" (USA, Amazon Prime)

Computer programmer turned vigilante-hacker trying to bring down corporate America? Yes, please. This show is only on its second season but it's definitely been getting quite the attention right now. On another note, you can also watch "The IT Crowd" if you want to see the bitter reality of working in the IT department. Just don't make a drinking game out of how many times they ask, "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Education- "Vice Principals" (HBO)

Welcome back to high school. Except, not really. This shows a wholly other side to the politics of school administration. We see the lives of two vice principals who hate each other but who have teamed up to achieve their shared goal: to take down their new principal. Their ridiculous attempts at usurpation are both hilarious and ridiculous. I promise you'll get hooked by the first episode.

English- "Penny Dreadful" (Showtime, Netflix, Hulu)

This show brings all of your favorite characters to life, but not in the way you'd expect. Adaptations from the classics have definitely been making a comeback for a while now, but you really won't expect the twists this show brings. Frankly, I don't know about you, but they had me at Dorian Grey and Dr. Frankenstein. Victorian London never ceases to inspire the literary lover in me.

Biology/Environmental Science- "Planeta Feroz" (Vme TV)

Haven't you always wanted to travel the world and discover new species of animals you've never encountered before? Well, now you can. Scientific facts paired with beautiful landscape visuals and close-up shots of cheetahs have never been more appealing. And don't worry if you can't speak Spanish! Closed captioning is provided in English (and in some states, other languages as well!) since it is a national channel, or you can just enjoy the beauty of Mother Earth. Shout out to my grandma for getting me hooked on this show and other Vme programming.

History- "Drunk History" (Comedy Central)

What is it all about? They invite people (usually famous ones) to come over and get drunk, with the catch of having to recount a famous historical event intelligibly enough. The show then parallels the drunk person retelling the story in their hilariously inept way to actual actors and actresses dressed in period costume and mouthing their dialogue to the drunk storyteller. Whoever decided to turn this show from a crazy idea into reality was probably inebriated, too.

Journalism/Communications- "Scandal" (ABC, Hulu)

Do yourself a favor and binge-watch this show if you haven't already. You really can never go wrong with living legend Shonda Rhimes. Great writing, great characters, great plot. Quelle scandale!

Music- "Flight of the Conchords" (HBO, Amazon Prime)

Two clueless New Zealanders (that's right, they're not Australians because those would be their worst enemies) struggle to promote their unintentionally hilarious music in New York City. Their musical style ranges everything from reggae to opera, salsa to psychedelic pop. And with guest appearances from stars like Aziz Ansari and Kristen Wiig, this low-budget show is definitely not what you would expect.

Political Science- "Parks and Recreation" (NBC, YouTube, Amazon Prime, Netflix)

I can go on and on about how hilarious this show is but at the end of the day, it's Leslie Knope's perseverance and hope for a better town, a better state, a better country, and a better world that sells this show. She works nonstop and cares more about doing what's best for her town than the very people in her town. Local government has never been so inspirational and motivating.

Pre-Med- "Scrubs" (NBC, ABC, Hulu, Netflix)

I bet you were expecting "House" or "Grey's Anatomy" here but truthfully, I love to laugh. And this show makes me laugh. It also reminds of that brief period in my life when I wanted to be a doctor and this show helped me come to the very good conclusion I would not be able to handle the all-nighters, the overbearing supervisors or the ridiculous American health care system. But kudos to all of you brave souls out there. You deserve all of the laughs and feels this show will give you.

Pre-Law- "How to Get Away with Murder" (ABC, Hulu, Netflix)

Set in law school, the ethical dilemma the show revolves around is one I hope you will never have to go through. But for ethic's sake, do watch this show.

Psychology- "My Mad Fat Diary" (E4, Hulu, Vimeo)

This is a really underrated but absolutely amazing British TV show about the life of a teenage girl going through eating disorders, depression, and anxiety. Talk about real. She is the loudspeaker to all of the teenage anguish we were scared to voice out on our own, and she's still so much more. For future psychologists, or for anybody who has experienced anything Rae has, this is a must-see.

Theatre- "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" (The CW)

Even if you're not as dramatic (or love-obsessed) as Rebecca, the theatre major in you will be overjoyed at the not-so-casual musical bits and her explosive personality. She's all of the impulsive decisions you've always wanted to make in one tiny, crazy person. Just watch the trailer and see for yourself.

Woman's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies- "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (Fox, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu)

This one's a no-brainer. If you haven't already discussed gender and sexuality in "Buffy" or any other of Joss Whedon's shows in one of your classes, allow me to brief you in. Take a high-school age, skinny blonde named Buffy who is now the next legendary vampire slayer. She literally fights her own demons, has a father-like teacher, and rises from the dead. If that doesn't scream "savior" to you, I don't know what will. While the show is hailed for its feminism (and for being one of the first shows to not draw attention to two female characters in a relationship), there is plenty more to discuss when it comes to Joss Whedon. So, definitely watch, enjoy, and let's get analyzing.

Undeclared: "Key and Peele" or "Broad City" (Comedy Central)

So you don't know your major yet. That's perfectly fine! Who says you can't enjoy some quality humor that's both informed and crazy at the same time?