Anyone Who Is Still Preaching Addiction As A Choice Instead Of A Disease Is Sick

People are dropping like flies, who cares whether it's a choice or disease?

322

Our country is going thru a very tough time with opiate addiction, so much that now it is being called an epidemic. According to the CDC, approximately 115 people die daily in the United States. Multiply that by 365, and you get close to 50,000 people dying every year. This is indeed an epidemic.

Addiction seems to be one of the hottest debates on the internet, especially after the recent passing of the very talented and genuine Mac Miller. It's sad that instead of allowing people to mourn, people are debating that it was his choice to get addicted, because he chose to try the drug. While that may or may not be true, it doesn't change the fact that a precious life was lost among many other lives.

Who the hell cares which one it is? Whether it's a choice that started a disease, or whether a physiological imbalance that someone was born with caused it? It doesn't make a difference, we have a HUGE problem here.

This should not be up for debate.

People are dying daily, something needs to be done to stop this from continually happening. Instead of us arguing on social media over why it happened or what caused it to happen let's come up with a way to help the epidemic.

If you have been affected by addiction, whether personally or thru someone you loved, you know firsthand how hard of a battle it is. In my personal experience, I've come across some addicts that were the most genuine people I've ever met. They got in a battle that anyone could get themselves in, because as we can see addiction doesn't discriminate. It affects people of all races, sexes, and economic statuses.

An addict is not a junkie, but instead a person that lost their way. They wake up and fight the same battle every single day. And unfortunately, some of them end up losing that battle. Being someone that has lost people to addiction, nothing angers me more than debating the whole choice or disease crap. Why can't we all just find a solution, instead of adding to the problem?

There are not enough resources out there to aid in recovery.

Most of the ones that want to take the road to recover, end up relapsing because of the minimal resources that are offered. A lot of insurances won't even cover rehab, and if you're paying out of pocket then you'll be buried with debt.

I hope one day we can all come together and realize that we have a huge problem. That arguing about irrelevant stuff won't bring a solution, but instead cause an even bigger divide. I hope that one day we won't look at addicts as junkies, but instead as someone's child, spouse, parent, and friend. As a person that lost their way, and needs support, guidance and love from those close to them.

If you or anyone you know is struggling with an addiction, please reach out to the resources below and seek help. Although there are minimal resources, there are still some out there that could help someone.

In loving memory of:

Tanner J. Lamantia 06/02/1994-01/10/2016

Zachary D. Brugh 04/20/1994-11/07/2013

Mac Miller 01/19/1992-09/07/2018

Addiction Help

Substance Abuse Help