Let's Keep Some Things In Mind Now That 'Suicide Prevention Week' Is Over
Health Wellness

Turn one week into a lifetime of awareness instead.

100
https://pixabay.com/en/lonely-hiding-sad-young-alone-1822414/

If you have any form of social media (especially Twitter), you probably know that the week of Sunday, September 9th to Saturday, September 15th was National Suicide Prevention Week. Since that Sunday, a plethora of individuals have tweeted a short description about their battle with suicidal thoughts and mental illness. Others have simply posted motivational messages, encouraging anyone struggling to reach out.

As weeks such as these come and go, I cannot help but notice that advocacy for mental illness rises incredibly during these times only to decrease back to average levels (which means really only becoming concerned with mental illness when a popular singer or actor reveals their diagnosis). Of course, education on mental health is increasing, since the benefits of addressing mental health in academic environments are finally being acknowledged. Numerous organizations have been formed, including The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and, more specifically, the Suicide Prevention Hotline.

I'm not going to discuss the stigma behind suicidal thoughts or the statistics of suicide. These are facts everyone has heard before, whether it was in your seventh grade Health class or a forty-five-minute annual school assembly. I just have some things to keep in mind as the week fades away.

Suicide Awareness Should Be Constant, Not Just For a Week

I understand that the purpose of deeming the week "Suicide Prevention Week" was to emphasize its importance. In an ideal world, the week's purpose would be to further advocacy that already exists. Unfortunately, that is not the case. It is well known that schools, especially high schools, do not foster a healthy mental environment and that adults within these facilities are not always properly trained on the issue. This may make it difficult to become a supporter purely because there's a lack of education. We must try to educate ourselves, look into the myriad resources and utilize them for both ourselves and our peers.

Suicidal Thoughts Cannot Always Be Seen

Reaching out for help, whether it is for you or a loved one, is not always easy when you do not know exactly what the issue is. You may have that gut feeling that something is wrong, but you are not completely sure. Of course, there are common warning signs, but they are not always identifiable. Even if you're hesitant, reach out anyway. Making a false accusation is better than waiting too long to take action.

But There is a Difference Between Stress and Suicidal Thoughts/Behaviors

In a society where words such as "OCD" and "anxious" have become adjectives instead of mental illnesses, it's difficult to understand where you lay. Something may be wrong, but you believe that "everyone feels this way," or "everyone thinks about dying too." There is a clear distinction between contemplation and taking action. When you hear people saying they're "going to kill themselves if they fail this test," that's usually not legitimate.

Don't Use Television as an Adequate Example of Mental Illness

c1.staticflickr.com

People tend to believe what they see, so with controversial shows such as 13 Reasons Why "shedding light" on mental health, the media perceives this to be an accurate representation of what mental illness looks like. Some movies may romanticize eating disorders or make a 30-minute episode about a character's "hidden mental illness" that is never brought up in the series again. Mental health should not be used as a special feature on a sitcom, but, unfortunately, that's often what entices the audience.

You Don't Need to be Struggling to be an Advocate

As long as you're educated on the subject of suicide prevention and mental health, you are capable of becoming an advocate. This doesn't necessarily mean trying to save everyone who's unstable, but let your friends know that you are there to listen if they personally need someone to talk to. Reaching out to professional resources is often intimidating, so demonstrating that you are available may benefit someone who needs it. Obviously, receiving help from someone who is trained and highly educated is the top priority, but you can help someone reach that step if they are scared.

If you or anyone you know is in need of help, please do not hesitate to call 1-800-273-8255, the 24-hour National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Be vigilant.