Another Life Claimed Too Soon, RIP Mac Miller

Maybe If We Stopped Treating Addicts Like Criminals, There Wouldn't Be 'Another' Tragedy

Thank you for all the amazing music you made for us, we love you Mac.

1544
http://www.tmz.com/2018/09/07/mac-miller-dead-dies/

Today seemed like just another average Friday.

I got out of class, came home and started watching TV when I got a message that Mac Miller had died. I couldn't believe what I was reading. The Pittsburgh native, rapper Malcolm McCormick, aka Mac Miller, was found dead around noon at his home in California from an apparent overdose, he was only 26 years old.

It truly breaks my heart to see this and to be honest, I am still in total disbelief. It just really hurts to see someone so talented die so young all because of a drug overdose. Miller has struggled with substance abuse issues for years and it was made clear in many of his songs as he talked about different types of drugs and substances, and the saddest part is that no one truly reached out to help him with this issue.

See also: Mac Miller Is Dead At 26 From A Disease We Still Refuse To Recognize

What really bothers me the most about his death is that a lot of people knew he had a major issue with substance abuse and drugs. He even was arrested for a DUI back in May, but still, it seemed like no one really reached out to try and help the young rapper kick his habits and get clean.

If there is anything we should all take away from his death, it is that we need to reach out to those in need of help. We pick our friends up when they're down and help them kick unhealthy habits not because it's easy, but because we care about them and we want to see them prosper in life.

It truly hurts to see that every time someone dies over an overdose like this we always look back in hindsight and say all this but never truly act.

It's time to stop treating people with drug issues like criminals and start treating them like victims.

Because sometimes, you just don't understand what is going on in a person's life and what brought them so low.

Even as I write this I am still in disbelief Mac Miller has died. I'll never forget hearing "Knock Knock" for the first time in middle school and after that, I became hooked on his music. Every time I think back to my days in high school I always think of Mac dropping his album "Blue Slide Park" and how I had nearly every song on repeat.

Even to this day, "Blue Slide Park" will always be one of my favorites albums all because of the memories that go along with it. Mac Miller was loved by so many people, and I know there are a lot of other people out there hurting just as bad over his loss.

Thank you for everything, Mac, you will be missed.

RIP.