What To Do When Happily Ever After Doesn't Happen
relationships

What To Do When Your Happily Ever After Doesn't Happen

"No mom, I do not want to talk things through again. Now, where's the chocolate."

467

Right now, I am talking to my girls in the room that had that special someone they thought was the "end all, be all," am I right? We have all been there. Everything is perfect, and then you feel blindsided. You didn't even know! Whether it is cheating, or maybe y'all just "drifted" like he would say, you weren't prepared. Chin up, buttercup, first things first.

Calm the frick down. Yes, you know what I am talking about. How many of us turn into those ex-girlfriends on the tv-shows that we laugh at. Kelly from "The Office," anyone? You are lying to yourself if you think it isn't you. It's all of us. We will go far and wide to make sure everyone knows we are upset, and it is their fault. Right? So calm down. Chill. Don't make it a bigger deal than it already is. I know you want to. Everyone is waiting for you to freak out and let him have it. "Well, he deserves it."

Yeah, maybe he does, but that doesn't mean you're the one that needs to give it to him.

Part of you wants to be the ex that trashes his car, keys it, and burns it while singing "We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together? And trust me, you're not the only one. As girls, it's our thing to add a little spice, a little drama to our life. We want to make a big deal for that reality television side of us that doesn't exist. But girls, just remember, it really doesn't exist. So don't confuse it with your life now.

Alright, this one may get me in trouble. But it needs to be said. Don't spill the beans right out of the bag. Alright, yes I know we want all of our friends and family to know that he's awful and terrible and is a lying, cheating dog. Right? Wrong. Because guess what? There is no harm is waiting a week for emotions to calm down before you start telling people. Why? Because there is a slight (probably bigger than slight) chance y'all may get back together. And you don't want your family to go from loving him to hating him to loving him again. It sounds like a Taylor Swift song just waiting to be written. Now, I am definitely not condoning getting back together after he cheated. Girl, if you do that, me and your mom are going to slap you across the head. But, listen, if he didn't call you back, or fell asleep and missed an important dinner, give it a week. Just trust me.

Alright, this is the big one. You don't have to be okay with it. But you need to pretend you're okay with it. What I mean is, you need to act the part so someday you feel the part. The amount of power that comes with walking down a hall and showing him that it didn't bother you will make him miss you more. And sometimes that is what you need to get over him.

We all get in our head this "Happily Ever After," and someday you will get your big diamond and farm wedding, but just remember that if it was easy, then it wouldn't be worth it in the end. Chill out and take a deep breath. You are worth more than him anyway, and if someone is breaking up with you, why would you want that in your life? Obviously, someone better is out there. Now grab some chocolate, turn on "Friends," and enjoy being single for a little bit. We all need that sometimes.