Happy Birthday Beyoncé: 35 Things I Absolutely Love About You

Cause she's slayed for almost twenty years

68
Daily Mail

For those who don’t know me or intend on knowing me, should remember I am a Beyoncé stan. Not a fan but a stan. I am a certified member of the Beyhive and put Mrs. Carter at number two under Michael Jackson of my favorite artists of all time. The way Beyoncé and her generation’s grew up idolizing Janet & Whitney, is what B has been for my current generation. She represents the fully packaged pop star. Talented, hardworking with stunning looks to go along with it and always read to slay. Today is her 35th birthday and 10th anniversary of her sophomore album B’Day. So to other the queen’s special day I’ve decided to list 35 things I love about her.

1. Destiny’s Child

This is how I was introduced to Beyoncé. I was 3 when I purchased my first DC album (their sophomore The Writing’s on The Wall). Let’s keep it real, Destiny’s Child slayed before we even used the term slayed. They were gorgeous, sassy and fierce black woman who took the MTV pop world by storm. Their songs were perfectly-crafted R&B tracks about female and self-empowerment. P.S. we’re still waiting for a reunion tour: Beyoncé, Kelly and Michelle.

2. She kicked Farrah to the curb

No shade to Farrah Franklin who spent five months in Destiny’s Child. However, I got to be honest. When if I was Farrah and I along with Michelle was blessed enough to be asked to join the biggest girl group of the late 90s/early 00s…. you never quit on that blessing. Imagine what being in Destiny’s Child until that eventual spilt could’ve done for career instead of leaving because of the hectic work schedule. But Beyoncé and the members had to be what was best when you miss out on events and rehearsals. And that’s letting you go. To me Farrah seemed ungrateful and Beyoncé was not going to let her mess up the mojo.

3. "Lemonade"

Need I say more? She gave us life in the visual film and album. Beyoncé got very personal on her marital issues with Jay Z but also on the struggle of being a black woman in America. She even switched it up a bit musically with a mix of country, rock and blues. It hasn’t even been a full year and Lemonade has been a pop culture phenomenon. Becky with the good hair? Let’s get in formation? I ain’t sorry? Yeah Bey did that.

4. "Dangerously in Love"

I was excited as fuck, when I was seven years old and Beyoncé dropped her first solo album. Dangerously in Love is one of my R&B albums of the 2000s and “Crazy In Love” set off the sound for the album. Club bangers with syrupy ballads to showcase Bey’s vocal range.

5. "Dreamgirls"

I know that Jennifer Hudson killed it the most but Beyoncé was one of the main reasons I went to see the movie in theatre. That being said she did a great job emulating Deena Jones, a Diana Ross-type lead of a 60s girls group.

6. She doesn’t care what you think about her.

Beyoncé, like many celebrities always have to deal with criticism and hate. In her Destiny’s Child days, she’s admitted it got to her, but you can tell at this point (even in her music) …she really doesn’t give a damn. She’s going to do her at the end of the day.

7. She’s confident

Cue the “Flawless” song.

8. Perfect (near it)

Let’s be honest Beyoncé is the perfect celebrity. She’s never abused drugs or alcohol, had any eating disorders, bad relationships or nervous breakdowns like the ones we hear from many young stars these days. That’s a testament to her strength as a person.

9. Cornrows

10. Diverse fan base

Beyoncé’s fan base has definitely grown from the time she released her first album as part of Destiny’s Child. I can tell from seeing her live in concert in New York City twice. There was an equal amount of men and woman of different ages, races, and sexual orientations. It was surprising she still was able to hold on to her white fans after the controversy surrounding the Formation video and Super Bowl performance.

11. She comes alive when she’s on stage.

By that I mean, she truly gives you a performance or as many would say your money’s worth. For two hours, she’s able to continuously dance, sing and transition in the next song or segment perfectly.

12. She doesn’t need to entertain people coming for her

In the age of social media and multiple celebrities clapping back at people trolling them over the internet or TV (you can always see it on TheShadeRoom), Beyoncé stays silent. And sometimes silence is the best answers. Though we can’t forget her calling out haters who accuse her of being in the illuminati. It’s okay Bey we know it’s all ignorance.

13. Debut album with Destiny’s Child is very underrated

After a brief stint with Elektra Records, Destiny’s Child ended up getting a record deal with Columbia Records. Their self-titled debut album came out in February 1998. It produced one single which became their first major hit “No No No Pt. 2” but the album’s success was dismal at best peaking at #67 on the Billboard 200. They didn’t become major stars until the second album dropped. However, Destiny’s Child is honestly late 90s neo soul bliss. Beyoncé’s vocals which showed range was very present on the songs. “Bridges”, “Tell Me” and “Birthday” are my favorite and my little secret as only core Beyoncé fans know them.

14. "Bills, Bills, Bills," "Say My Name" and "Independent Women Part 1"

Honestly I know all the words to the song and can definitely attempt the choreography from the Say My Name. These songs proved to be Destiny’s Child signature sound which was very sassy hip-hop leaning R&B with girl power flavor. The lift women up who are tired of men spending their hard-earned cash, playing them for a fool or thinking they can’t be independent by themselves. Side note the videos were as iconic as the songs.

15. She is a black woman who is P-A-I-D and W-I-N-N-I-NG

The most oppressed person is the black woman in America. So with Beyoncé, she is with an elite group of African American women who stays getting her coins. In 2014, she was named the highest paid Black artist of all time. Plus, to date, all her albums have debuted at #1 and she has twenty Grammys. So it’s safe to say she’s far from losing.

16. She is accepts and embraces her gay fans.

Aside from being a pop icon, Beyoncé is definitely a gay icon. And it’s always great to see another black celebrity (and person) be supportive of gay community.

17. Sex Symbol

Do I need to say more? The fact that she’s considered beautiful by people of all different ages just speaks for itself.

18. She can SANG

I saw her live in concert and I can confirm this. Her voice is very powerful.

19. Bootylicious

Probably the best song about booties out there. Own your curves every one.

20. Crazy In Love

We knew Beyoncé was a force to be reckoned with when we saw the Crazy in Love video with Jay-Z. Everyone and their grandma also tried to do the uh-oh booty dance. I know I still do.

21. B’Day (10-year anniversary)

The album that gave us the funk-induced anthem “Déjà vu” and the moving-on track “Irreplaceable” turn 10-year-old. This album was such as game-changer it had its own distinct R&B instead off imitating what every other female R&B singers were doing at the time.

22. Super Bowl

I don’t even watch football but I turned into the Super Bowl just for the Queen to do her thang. Maybe they should just perform there every year. I would approve.

23. "Single Ladies"

Another iconic video and message to guys who don’t want to commit to their girls.

24. She instills pride in being black

Her "Formation" video and subsequent Lemonade album is our generations’ James Brown “Say It Loud – I'm Black and I'm Proud”.

25. She is a feminist

I mean the majority of her songs scream female empowerment.

26. She is active in the Black Lives Matter movement.

Even before she dropped Lemonade y’all. She and her husband Jay-Z went to visit and donate to families of slain black folks (at the hands of police) such as Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner and Freddie Gray.

27. She is looked up by many up and coming artists.

Sam Smith, Adele, Ariana Grande and Zendaya just to name a few.

28. Blue Ivy Carter

If Beyoncé and Jay-Z is our unofficial king and queen in America then Blue Ivy is the royal princess.

29. Survivor

If you’ve been through trials and tribulations and keep on pushing forward this is your song.

30. She’s a record label CEO

She has her own label titled Parkwood Entertainment has currently has three artist on the roster.

31. Her and Jay-Z are relationship goals

15 years. A couple who balls and gets through infidelity together stays together.

32. She keeps her private life private.

Good job. It’s not always the best thing for a celebrity to put all their business out in the streets like that.

33. "Feeling Myself" video

Best friend goals right here.

34. She paid her dues

Before DC hit the big time, dues had to be paid. Beyoncé who grew up upper-middle class in Texas knew what she wanted to do from a young age. Her dad Matthew quit his six figure earning job to become Destiny’s Child manager and help score them a record deal. They nearly went broke having to downsize their lifestyle for Beyoncé to achieve her dream. Tina Knowles, Beyoncé’s mother designed their outfits as they didn’t have a big budget from their major label. Moral of the story is you have to start from the bottom.

35. She’s nice in person and very humble

Beyoncé has never been a diva or a celebrity who acts uppity when around regular folks. She still stops to take pictures with fans and is said to be very down to earth.